Herman tortoise Realeasing urates everyday for

Meilu

Location (City and/or State)
uk
My yearling hermann baby passing urate which like egg white everyday. I know if they're not gritty it's fine but my concern is he passes them everyday. I soak him everyday, get natural sunlight nearly everyday, feed him dandelions, lambs lecture, watercress, plantains, sow thistie, antirrhinum, occasionally calcium dust as he doesn't eat cuttlefish bone, occasionally mineral powder as supplement. The humility in his indoor around 70, 80-90 in his sleeping hide. What i did wrong? Appreciated your expertise. Thanks in advance

Meilu

uk
My yearling hermann baby passing urate which like egg white everyday. I know if they're not gritty it's fine but my concern is he passes them everyday. I soak him everyday, get natural sunlight nearly everyday, feed him dandelions, lambs lecture, watercress, plantains, sow thistie, antirrhinum, occasionally calcium dust as he doesn't eat cuttlefish bone, occasionally mineral powder as supplement. The humility in his indoor around 70, 80-90 in his sleeping hide. What i did wrong? Appreciated your expertise. Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All sounds good, but with an open top 70% humidity seems unlikely. How are you measuring that?

For how long do you soak daily? How many minutes?

How long is the baby outside in the sun every day?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have a Hermanns tortoise who is now 22, and he produces urates nearly every day - mostly they look like egg white, but sometimes a bit thicker - I don't think it matters how often they do this, as long as they are not hard or gritty.
Angie

Meilu

uk
All sounds good, but with an open top 70% humidity seems unlikely. How are you measuring that?

For how long do you soak daily? How many minutes?

How long is the baby outside in the sun every day?
Thanks Tom. i pour water into substrates which are mixed coco coir and orchid barks, then mix them to make the substrate damp, i have a cover over the enclosure but most time just half covered. I have a digital temperature gauge and that shows the humility.
i soak him from 30mins -1hour until he has done the business as i will hate to see feces in the enclosure, is that too long?
I 've been putting him out nearly everyday in the garden at least one hour sometimes stay all day until afternoon, he has hide outside and he does go into hide and I just leave him as when he wants to come out.
Thanks

Meilu

uk
I have a Hermanns tortoise who is now 22, and he produces urates nearly every day - mostly they look like egg white, but sometimes a bit thicker - I don't think it matters how often they do this, as long as they are not hard or gritty.
Angie
Thanks Angie. That makes me feel a bit better as i would hate to see things go wrong because I fed him wrong stuff. I do follow tortoise table what i can feed but i feel a bit struggle to feed him more variety food. Don't want to feed him wrong stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. i pour water into substrates which are mixed coco coir and orchid barks, then mix them to make the substrate damp, i have a cover over the enclosure but most time just half covered. I have a digital temperature gauge and that shows the humility.
i soak him from 30mins -1hour until he has done the business as i will hate to see feces in the enclosure, is that too long?
I 've been putting him out nearly everyday in the garden at least one hour sometimes stay all day until afternoon, he has hide outside and he does go into hide and I just leave him as when he wants to come out.
Thanks
This all sounds ideal. 30-60 minutes is perfect.

Outside all day is not good for babies, and that may be why you are seeing urates daily under these circumstances. How many grams does your baby weigh? I don't like to leave them outside all day until they are at least 4 inches or so.

Meilu

uk
This all sounds ideal. 30-60 minutes is perfect.

Outside all day is not good for babies, and that may be why you are seeing urates daily under these circumstances. How many grams does your baby weigh? I don't like to leave them outside all day until they are at least 4 inches or so.
My baby weighs 65g, he is just over 1yrs old. Is this a healthy weight? Whwn i got him in May this year he was 48g.

Meilu

uk
My baby weighs 65g, he is just over 1yrs old. Is this a healthy weight? Whwn i got him in May this year he was 48g.
Thanks for the advise. Yes, i realized that i leave him outside too long. we had a few hot days and bit risky leave him outside in a hot day even though i put a towel over one side of his pen and kept it wet. I won't do that again (

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is pretty small for 12 months old. Reflective of the care he got before you. With better care the growth rate should improve.

Meilu

uk
That is pretty small for 12 months old. Reflective of the care he got before you. With better care the growth rate should improve.
Thanks Tom,. Where we got him/her, they have a few of them and eaten hermann also, they are all July 2021 hatched but all of them are pretty same size, the eaten ones even smaller. I guess Only two facts could be, one is they aren't July 21 hatched might be later or care issue.