Too much cuttlefish bone?

PumkinRulez

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi! Is there such thing as too much cuttlefish bone? My tortoise ate an entire bone in two days.

PumkinRulez

Texas
What kind of tortoise? I’m guessing a Sulcata? Our Sully has easily “eaten” a 5 inch cuttlefish bone on more than one occasion. No bad effects.
Yes it’s a sulcata, but I’m worried becuase she/he is still pretty young

Attachments

• C5EFCC7A-E265-4459-BAF3-F9DB8DDC6E1C.jpeg
    C5EFCC7A-E265-4459-BAF3-F9DB8DDC6E1C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Cuttlebone contains 90% calcium and chitin...the rest is other minerals the body needs.

It works well in reptiles because they can eat it as they crave the nutrients. If a pet is eating it well and often, calcium powders are unnecessary (and can potentially be overdosed, causing metabolic syndromes just as dangerous as MBD).

When a youngster seems over-enthusiastic, try offering the whole piece for a day, then off for a day...or break large pieces in half.

If the body does not need the minerals, the bone will pass through the digestive organs whole. Be sure to feed high-fiber foods to keep pieces bound up and moving. Soak daily to maintain digestive and metabolic hydration.

Large, fast-growing torts will eat more than smaller species.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could it be I’m not giving pumpkin enough calcium suppiments?
The diet sounds okay.
If you give calcium supplements on the food then I wouldn't give the cuttle or vice versa. Usually one or the other. Too much can be as bad as too little.
Be sure to feed enough food that he can nibble all day. Or once the food is gone that you feed in the a.m. then feed more.
Usually they will use a cuttle as needed. I can't imagine he would need that much.

PumkinRulez

Texas
Cuttlebone contains 90% calcium and chitin...the rest is other minerals the body needs.

It works well in reptiles because they can eat it as they crave the nutrients. If a pet is eating it well and often, calcium powders are unnecessary (and can potentially be overdosed, causing metabolic syndromes just as dangerous as MBD).

When a youngster seems over-enthusiastic, try offering the whole piece for a day, then off for a day...or break large pieces in half.

If the body does not need the minerals, the bone will pass through the digestive organs whole. Be sure to feed high-fiber foods to keep pieces bound up and moving. Soak daily to maintain digestive and metabolic hydration.

Large, fast-growing torts will eat more than smaller species.
Great! Thanks!

PumkinRulez

Texas
The diet sounds okay.
If you give calcium supplements on the food then I wouldn't give the cuttle or vice versa. Usually one or the other. Too much can be as bad as too little.
Be sure to feed enough food that he can nibble all day. Or once the food is gone that you feed in the a.m. then feed more.
Usually they will use a cuttle as needed. I can't imagine he would need that much.
Thank you!