Cooper update.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Arkansas
I say he is a handsome giant @ the age of 2!!! I can't wait for warmer weather either and its just around the corner down here.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
TortyTom said:
Wow! All I can say is WOW! When he was a baby, what did you use as substrate, Miracle Grow potting soil? Haha! He really is beautiful and I only hope mine will grow to love me as much Cooper loves you! I never knew a tortoise was capable of showing that kind of affection. Also I am really sorry to hear about the lupus. I know it can be very tough. My best friend suffered with it for years. We laid her to rest 4 months ago BUT her passing had NOTHING to do with the lupus! Keep your head up my friend and may God bless you and yours! Oh I almost forgot,,, I read in one of Tom's threads about Sulcatas from a different part of Africa that get much larger then the avg Sulcatas?? I wonder if that's what Cooper is????
Lol, that a first about the Miracle Grow Potting Soil! I spend so much time with Cooper now that I cant work, so I guess that has a lot to do with his personality. But I also spent tons of time with him even when I did work. I got Cooper at The Woodys breeder in Arizona and had him shipped here. The breeder was shocked at his size also. The 4 he kept from Coopers breed group are all around 7 inches and 6-9 lbs. So he is just a regular sully. Sorry to hear about your friend. Have a good day!

Shannon and Jason said:
I say he is a handsome giant @ the age of 2!!! I can't wait for warmer weather either and its just around the corner down here.

Thanks Shannon, and yeah, come on warm weather! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love the pics. Such a handsome sully. You know, your not going to be able to keep him outside if he doesn't want to. He will just bulldoze the door down and walk his big self in:D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
wellington said:
Love the pics. Such a handsome sully. You know, your not going to be able to keep him outside if he doesn't want to. He will just bulldoze the door down and walk his big self in:D
Lol, thanks Barb! Yeah, he is so use to being in the living room he thinks its his home! And he is starting to learn that he can move things now! He started pushing the ferret cage 3 days ago cause he wanted to get back behind it, the little brat! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LMAO What, you think its your home? Oh, no my friend, he's just letting you live there. After all, he can't reach the food:p I can picture him moving just about anything he wants. :D

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I agree with Wellington! :p

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I have a friend in the UK that has a huge sulcatta that leaves her heated green house barges through porch door, barges through house door-through kitchen and settles very contentedly with dogs by the fire and sleeps happily in company.
Talk about spoilt!!

Only way to move the huge girl is showing her a whole banana and bribing her back to the yard-love to hear about her such a character.

Cooper is quite the character too-love to see him and hear the stories!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tortoise said:
I have a friend in the UK that has a huge sulcatta that leaves her heated green house barges through porch door, barges through house door-through kitchen and settles very contentedly with dogs by the fire and sleeps happily in company.
Talk about spoilt!!

Only way to move the huge girl is showing her a whole banana and bribing her back to the yard-love to hear about her such a character.

Cooper is quite the character too-love to see him and hear the stories!!

Thank you! Im happy some people like the stories! I can get Cooper to go anywhere with just his green's I'm happy to say. When he was little I could get him to move by shining a flash light where I wanted him because he knew where the bright light was, there was some food too. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What, Cooper was little:D I love the story Tortoise wrote. Soon we will be having the same thing in the United States. In the State of Indiana:D
Chris, hate to tell ya, but the only pay your getting, is the joy he brings. The green stuff, well even if he could pay it, he'd eat it:p :D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Lol Barb! Yeah that was a good story! When I decided to get Cooper, our friends had/have a 50 lbs Sulcata named George, and he kept crawling in my lap while I was feeding him. I fell in love the 1st day I saw him, so I had to get Cooper. But George would remember I fed him and as soon as I went to his room, he would come out and wait for me to feed him. It was just awesome to me!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
cemmons12 said:
Lol Barb! Yeah that was a good story! When I decided to get Cooper, our friends had/have a 50 lbs Sulcata named George, and he kept crawling in my lap while I was feeding him. I fell in love the 1st day I saw him, so I had to get Cooper. But George would remember I fed him and as soon as I went to his room, he would come out and wait for me to feed him. It was just awesome to me!

That would be really neat. I wish the leopards had a little more of a sully personality. Hopefully when he (Tatum) gets older he will be more personable. He has no fear, and doesn't mind at all when i kiss his face, in fact will push his face out further, but no interest in coming to see what I'm up too.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
So we got to have some outside time today. Looking like my baby is starting to get shy about the outdoors. I'm glad he likes when I'm with him, but I wish he could enjoy basking and grazing while I'm at work and my fiance is at home to watch him. Maybe if we're lucky we will have almost as good a relationship as you have with Cooper. Oh and I believe his growth may have had something to do with you chopping his food up so fine. I know it's weird, but I only say this because I've read about corn snakes growing much larger/faster when fed a mouse that has been sliced open. (I keep snakes too, and honestly I know much more about them than I do torts, though I try to learn all I can.) I guess that means they can absorb more of the nutrients.

ulkal

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:
He tried to eat the tat on both of my arms! Just black tribal's but they must have looked yummy to him!! Silly boy! :)
LOL! That's the funniest thing I read in a while. Wonder what he thought it was :D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Weda737: I believe that chopping his food up did have something to do with his growth too.
ulkal: I would guess he thought it was some dark leafs like whats in the spring mix. :)
Barb: I kind of thought that Leopards had close to the same personality as Sulcatas. But I dont know much about them.
Have a good weekend everyone! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are sweeties, well mine is. Maybe when their bigger, but I don't think he's as personable as what I have read about some of the sullies on here Although, if I hold him, he does like to sleep in my neck and he won't try to get away. I think it's more they are better behaved then sullies:p :D

Oops, you have a great weekend too:)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Lol! I thought mine were the only ones who liked to sleep in the crook of my neck. :p

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Lol, Cooper did that for so long, thats 1 thing I really miss. But now he just sleeps next to me, so thats still good! Hard when your kids grow up! :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the big lug slept in your neck now, you'd suffocate. Best he just sleeps next too ya. The spoiled bugger:D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
wellington said:
If the big lug slept in your neck now, you'd suffocate. Best he just sleeps next too ya. The spoiled bugger:D
Yeah thats so true! He wont even lay on my chest for more then a few minutes. Although I'm only about 138lbs, so no comfort for the big guy. But he did fall asleep on my wifes chest a couple weeks ago. I guess male tortoises like "D" size breast's too! LOL! :p That's bad... haha..