Another question about Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Just a quick question about Cooper. I gave just a little bit of spinach to Cooper and Ophelia the last 2 or 3 days, but Cooper had bad runs last night when I took him to the kitchen to weigh him. He never poo's outside of the soak he gets every other day. But no sooner did I get him on and off the scales and was going back to our bedroom he just let go all over the floor. So I am guessing it may be the spinach? Needless to say he won't be get'n anymore of that! What a mess the poor boy made! Anybody ever had a problem with spinach before?
Thanks so much!! :)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Interesting I've never had that problem before. But maybe it doesn't suit well with your tortoise.
-Austin

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought I had seen before that spinach wasn't really that good for them. But that the little that is in the spring mix was okay, because it wasn't much. I very well could be wrong though:D

pericoloco001

5 Year Member
Hi do not feed your totoise spinach is not good for them
I read this on the google
good luck with your baby totoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
pericoloco001 said:
Hi do not feed your totoise spinach is not good for them
I read this on the google
good luck with your baby totoise.

Hi pericoloco001:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

And, by the way, spinach is ok to feed in moderation. You can't believe everything you see on GOOGLE. :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Chris, remember Coop is getting bigger, he will begin to poo and pee just about anywhere the older he gets....all of my CDTs never poo nor pee in their soaks---even when the old man is in there and falls asleep...they absolutely do their business when they are out and about :D:p

I personally believe it is a sign of him growing up (not only in size ;) )

I do feed spinach to every one of my tortoise and turtle and they do well, but they will only eat it when they feel like it....it is not a food they will trample me to get to....:D

If you fed spinach every day and only spinach, you could expect to have an ailing tortoise, but as part of a balanced and varied diet it is aok :D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Never Had This Issue, Although My Little Guy Only Gets His Spinach Thru Springmix.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thank you forum friends for all the input!! :D
I believe I will try Kristina's advice on this 1 just to see if that was it or not. I would really hope it was that then him growing more or just from growing in general. He has always done so well about only going in his soak for so many months that now he has me spoiled! :p My wife was not a happy camper about her carpet but I cleaned it best I could and tomorrow I'm gonna steam clean it.. Cooper (A SULCATA) a trouble maker?? He is jealous of all the great "Bob stories" I guess! :)
Thank u 1 and all!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You are welcome :) I would get a small plastic tub to use to carry him from room to room. He will feel a bit more secure that way. It could be that he just got a little scared. Larger torts really hate to be carried. And that way if he does void his bowels or bladder, it is contained. A small plastic storage tub or dish tub works well; I even use empty spring mix containers to transport smaller torts from room to room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a bit of E. coli. This is common due to the conditions in the fields where our leafy greens are grown. Should work its way through just like it does with us. I've never had any issue with spinach causing loose stools. Sometimes I'll feed a whole meal of it. Mine get at least some around once or twice a month.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tom said:
Sounds like a bit of E. coli. This is common due to the conditions in the fields where our leafy greens are grown. Should work its way through just like it does with us. I've never had any issue with spinach causing loose stools. Sometimes I'll feed a whole meal of it. Mine get at least some around once or twice a month.

Thanks for all the great info Kristina and Tom! Man, I am glad I don't eat a lot of greens! As soon as I seen the word "E. Coli my eyes about poped out'a my head, then I read on. :p
And I just did a gram to pound and he is right at 4lbs now, I still can't believe how much he has gained since last Feb when I got him at 65 grams! :D
Have a great day and weekend you all! :):)
Chris and :tort: Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.