Constipation

Solano

Location (City and/or State)
Lakewood
hello I have a russian tortoise and he seems to maybe constipated he did already use the bathroom but looks like he may still have more and can't quite get it all out how can I help is this something I should be worried about?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Try more soakings, longer duration. An hour a day, replacing the water to get rid of any stool and to keep temperatures warm to the touch. Also consider feeding your tortoise something watery to help get them over such as cactus pads. One of my tortoises poop so much that I need to swap water out 3-4 times on the regular. And yes, he's probably doing that to spite me.

Constipation can be caused by a variety of things.

1. What are you using for substrate?
2. What is your basking and ambient temp and humidity levels?
3. Size of your soaking tub?

Solano

Lakewood
1. I use the cocoa substrate I just moved him into his bigger cage but he does have a designated basking area. I'll attach a picture but this is without the top screen and the light is on and him inside

2. I ordered my thermometers but haven't received yet

3. The soaking tub is a pretty big storage container.

Attachments

• 20200808_194916.jpg
    20200808_194916.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • 20200808_195257.jpg
    20200808_195257.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
That enclosure does need to be bigger. At least 8ft by 4ft. Read this care sheet...

Solano

Lakewood
1. I use a cocoa Husk substrate
2. I have been waiting for my thermometers to come in theres one side that has the heating lamp and uvb lamp and one side that is a little colder

3.my soaking tub is 32qt Rubbermaid container

The pic is of the space without the screen top 20200808_194927.jpg

Attachments

• 20200808_195257.jpg
    20200808_195257.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I used to have that same gray water ramp as well. Useless piece of garbage if you ask me. Too small to navigate in. Tortoises are bad at turning.

I use square planter dishes now. Something like this. Heavy and safe. Pretty sure this is cheaper as well.

Can you also show us what specific type of bulbs you use? Links if possible so I don't mistakenly jump into conclusions.

Does your tortoise gnaw at the tortoise block regularly? My tortoise seem to prefer cuttlebones instead.

Colorado Springs,CO
I used to have that same gray water ramp as well. Useless piece of garbage if you ask me. Too small to navigate in. Tortoises are bad at turning.

I use square planter dishes now. Something like this. Heavy and safe. Pretty sure this is cheaper as well.

Can you also show us what specific type of bulbs you use? Links if possible so I don't mistakenly jump into conclusions.

Does your tortoise gnaw at the tortoise block regularly? My tortoise seem to prefer cuttlebones instead.
Used to use the same ramp bowl too. Changed it when my tort almost drowned when he flipped over ?

Solano

Lakewood

He hasn't tried the tort block yet he scratches but hasn't done anything more

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Used to use the same ramp bowl too. Changed it when my tort almost drowned when he flipped over ?

I still use the terracotta bowl as a feeding dish. Great for trimming down beaks and nails. I can't seem to find a square terracotta version large enough to be used as a water dish.

Colorado Springs,CO
I still use the terracotta bowl as a feeding dish. Great for trimming down beaks and nails. I can't seem to find a square terracotta version large enough to be used as a water dish.
I found this huge one about a foot and a half long. I use that for my torts. I just use a tile from Home Depot for my feeding dish.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Give cuttlebones a chance. They're fairly cheap and will last a long time. That and miner-all are great supplement choices.

I found this huge one about a foot and a half long. I use that for my torts. I just use a tile from Home Depot for my feeding dish.

Is the foot and a half long version come in square form? I also use a tile under my feeding dish because in my experience, tortoises are messy rude creatures.

Colorado Springs,CO
Give cuttlebones a chance. They're fairly cheap and will last a long time. That and miner-all are great supplement choices.

Is the foot and a half long version come in square form? I also use a tile under my feeding dish because in my experience, tortoises are messy rude creatures.
They really are ?. They think you’re their humble servant, which we basically are ?. I’ve never seen it in square form, so I don’t believe it is available.

Solano

Lakewood
This is the lighting I have now should i get another heat lamp as well? What would you reccomend?Screenshot_20200810-193011_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-192820_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-192820_Chrome.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 4

Solano

Lakewood
I don't have the set up for the tube light as if now is there a bulb similar to the t5 i can use in this fixture?

Solano

Lakewood
Would this be better?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-203619_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-203619_Chrome.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 15