Constipation?

tortgirl123

Hello all! Haven't been on TFO in what feels like forever! Lately I've been noticing my ibera Greeks poopies are smaller and showing up less often. I've also noticed that there are little pebbles in my Eco earth. AND when I bring him out to his outdoor enclosure ( he has a buffet of food to chose from I might add! :) ) he tries to eat the dirt. I don't know if this just curiosity or what. But could they all add up for him to be constipated? If he is what should I do? I haven't heard of any solutions for constipation other than a soak. I just gave him a thirty minute soak. He gets a 15 minute soak everyday. If this helps he's only about 4 months old.n
Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Eating dirt is actually a normal thing for a tort...there are even observations done that show wild torts will graze on dirt in particular areas on a regular basis as well as they have some dirt they will dig to reach...likely minerals needed and some small pebbles used for digestion in the gut....however, you have a captive tortoise...so be sure that you offer the tort plenty of hydration, soaks and you can also be sure to offer wet foods to help aid in keeping the pathway smooth...you can also offer a touch/bite of mineral oil in a treat a couple of times a week if you find the tort seems to be having an issue....soaks and soaks and soaks are a great aid in allowing the tort to process things out normally..

Reactions: ree