Constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I'm thinking one of my RT hatchlings may be constipated :( . I have had him for six days now. I was not at home for the first few days and when I asked my husband if he went, he said he thought he cleaned some out of his enclosure but was unsure if he did (we have three). I have been watching him the last two days and have not seen anything. He is eating and acting normally.

So today, I gave him a long soak. At least thirty minutes. He voided urine and urates (not chunky). When he did this, they seemed to come out in the water pretty forcefully ( I dont know how else to explain this). This was followed by a very small amount of feces. I mean very small, it was thin, probably the thickness of a piece of yarn and maybe a quarter inch long. Does this sound like constipation to you guys? Should I just give home more time? Maybe something that loosens stool a bit? Any suggestions?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well he is going just not a lot. How is he eating? he could be going in his enclosure and then eating it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Soak him daily... He may be a little dehydrated and that causes constipation.

I've never had a hatchling, but they're so small that I imagine they dehydrate quickly.

As for the force of the wee, I know exactly what you mean. Joe seems to have a powerful bladder too!

Laurie

5 Year Member
He is eating a lot, more than I would've expected something so small to eat! He has had a soak everyday since I've gotten him. I usually take them out after twenty minutes, today I left him a bit longer. If he was blocked, do you think he could've still passed a tiny bit?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Laurie said:
He is eating a lot, more than I would've expected something so small to eat! He has had a soak everyday since I've gotten him. I usually take them out after twenty minutes, today I left him a bit longer. If he was blocked, do you think he could've still passed a tiny bit?

But did your husband soak him properly... or maybe forget or just do it quickly?

I'd leave it a few days before worrying; especially if he's still eating.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes if he was blocked he still could have passed a small amount, But it is very unusual for hatclings to be blocked. Things that cause blockages take time to develop time and bad care, so it does not sound like it to me. Normally they are usually lethargic, no appetite.

Laurie

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Well he is going just not a lot. How is he eating? he could be going in his enclosure and then eating it.

I'm not sure if he could've eaten it, both hatchlings seem to have the same routine. They wake in am, come out slightly from their hides , then bask and eat. They continually fall asleep , lol. I have only seen them in their hides for the night. I'm checking the enclosure often, so I think it's possible , but unlikely.

My other hatchling went three times during his soak.

Tank - 1 month old 24g
Tootsie roll- 3 months old 26g

Thanks guys, he definitely has not lost his appetite. You could be right about my husband not soaking him long enough. I'm hoping I see something soon!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The forceful expulsion of urates and urine is totally normal.

A lot times shippers will cut back tortoises on food for a day or two before shipping in an attempt to make it less messy when they ship. It could be that your little guy's GI tract just isn't caught up and overflowing yet. It sometimes takes days for something to work through their GI tract. I've had it take 6-7 weeks for things to work their way through my older sulcatas.

Or it is also possible that he poops during the day when you are not right there watching and turns around and immediately eats it. Many hindgut fermentors like rabbits and rats do this as a matter of course. It is an essential part of their digestion. Some people believe tortoises do this too as a way of extracting more nutrition from some previously only partially digested food.

Either way, long warm soaks should fix him up. I would go 30-40 minutes at least. An hour will hurt nothing. Often they start marching around when they are tired of being in the water and all that locomotion also helps to move things through their GI tract too. Just like in horses.

Laurie

5 Year Member
During our 30 minutes soak today, got 2 more small pieces of poop out of him, a little bigger than yesterday too! It's progress :)

Status
Not open for further replies.