COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: Covid brought a change of plans. A couple of weeks before our onward flight to Hong Kong was cancelled; we had planned to soend a couple of days there on our way home. The rearranged flight became a stopover and we flew to Tasmania instead.

Don’t be fooled by the little island next to Australia - it’s land area is three times that of Wales! And I fell in love with it. We have to go back!

We saw our first truly wild wallaby(Bennett’s Wallaby) on Mount Wellington just outside our base in Hobart and went for a hike in the native forest which really made you think dinosaurs rather than birds.
7E618477-D5D2-40CF-B1AE-828E2878DAED.jpegA7D288D8-ED0C-4CE4-924E-79E7A034D4BC.jpegA325AAEA-434D-4D9E-9E7B-AED3C2C46566.jpeg84037A46-0FCF-4FEF-A693-916191CBD291.jpeg00425E33-06A6-4166-BB88-305B9966B14F.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all from a very soggy Wales!
The strong winds will hit us tonight. :(
Lola is up and about and enjoying his lunch, I could do with going shopping but I'm following Lola's usual example and staying in my warm, dry house.
Hope everyone has a good day

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good morning all from a very soggy Wales!
The strong winds will hit us tonight. :(
Lola is up and about and enjoying his lunch, I could do with going shopping but I'm following Lola's usual example and staying in my warm, dry house.
Hope everyone has a good day

Good morning Lyn,
You be very careful tonight then (with those winds coming)...
Take today to batten down the hatches and get the torch ready..
cook and eat before the storm comes so you’ll have a full belly...
Feed Lola and bring him in if you must.
Secure his garden from flying debris...
And for heaven sake....FIND THE WINE!!!!
...(and some glasses) ???
Maybe even some cheese to go with the wine?? .....?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning Lyn,
You be very careful tonight then (with those winds coming)...
Take today to batten down the hatches and get the torch ready..
cook and eat before the storm comes so you’ll have a full belly...
Feed Lola and bring him in if you must.
Secure his garden from flying debris...
And for heaven sake....FIND THE WINE!!!!
...(and some glasses) ???
Maybe even some cheese to go with the wine?? .....?
Thank you for the advice, I've been doing just that this morning.
The winds will be about 50 - 60 mph.
Lola lives indoors all year around in his own room, so he'll be snug and safe.
The wine is easily located in my oven - I may not bother dirtying a glass though!!!?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you for the advice, I've been doing just that this morning.
The winds will be about 50 - 60 mph.
Lola lives indoors all year around in his own room, so he'll be snug and safe.
The wine is easily located in my oven - I may not bother dirtying a glass though!!!?
This is a big storm, we get it in the early hours of the morning.. It’s just wet and a bit blustery right now

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Both the wood lathe is a rikon 12 by 24 my metal lathe is a 1941 hardinge tr 59 pretty machine for sure I will scrape the cross slide that is when’s you use a tool and it scrapes the metal And adds spot for oil and it makes it really flat
That Hardinge is a classic!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Found this on the Met Office site

When is a storm named?
The criteria we use for naming storms is based on our National Severe Weather Warnings service. This is based on a combination of both the impact the weather may have, and the likelihood of those impacts occurring.

A storm will be named when it has the potential to cause an amber or red warning.

Other weather types will also be considered, specifically rain if its impact could lead to flooding as advised by the Environment Agency, SEPA and Natural Resources Wales flood warnings. Therefore 'storms systems' could be named on the basis of impacts from the wind but also include the impacts of rain and snow.

I would have thought 70 mph winds have potential to cause 'an impact'.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, I thought that was weird too!
I got my paypal account straightened out now how do I get some of your lovely masks? You can pm me. Still working on the VPN and decision making with that. As far as windy goes I HATE IT TOO. It's heck when I open a door to escape and get slammed against something. My stepfather advised me to carry rocks in my pocket.?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
There's a highway in Colorado between Boulder & Golden with several canyons to the West of the highway famous for winds toppling trucks because the wind picks up volume roaring down the canyons. For some strange reason, on the east side of the highway is where the feds decided to erect the national wind energy testing site for wind turbines back in the early 80s. It's still there, BTW.

But I think the worst winds I"ve ever encountered are at Lake Powell on the Utah end of the lake. On a houseboat, ski boat or in your camper on dry land, there are some wild winds that blow for HOURS. Nothing stays tied down.
Believe me, I know just how windy Colorado gets. 2 of the companies I worked for were headquarters there, both were located right by that dirt racetrack. I-25 in a wind storm scared me all to hell, but I think you are talking about state hiway 93?