Cold Weather

oatmeal

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton, AB
Hi
I live in a part of Canada where it gets pretty cold especially at night. I have my tortoise in my room but when I wake up I’m freezing and can’t imagine what it’s like for her.
What can I do at night to keep her warmer? (and is the one heat lamp enough during the day?)
The usual temperature inside her tank is around 25°c but at night it can drop to 15°c

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of us use heat without light. There are two different kinds you can choose from - a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), or a RHP (radiant heat panel).

CHE - ceramic heat emitter.jpg

RHP -
xpanel.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EBJtGYQ0xH.webp

I think the CHE would suit your conditions better. I screws into a regular light fixture.

ColinS

Manchester
They need a drop in temp at night time. I’m no professional but I think it’s 16 degrees Celsius or maybe someone can put me right??

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Most of us use heat without light. There are two different kinds you can choose from - a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), or a RHP (radiant heat panel).

CHE - View attachment 283700

RHP -
xpanel.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EBJtGYQ0xH.webp

I think the CHE would suit your conditions better. I screws into a regular light fixture.
Is 16 degrees C enough at night, as Colins said?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
personally, i do not believe they need a drop in temperature at night ...... when the sun goes down their objective is to maintain their optimal body temperature until the sun comes backout ...... the temp will ,at least in any enclosure i have used, drop when the lights are turned off regardless ...... ideally , there should be a temperature gradient in the enclosure .... for baby eastern box turtles i use something around 70-95 , when the lights go off it may drop to 65-80 depending on how cold the house is ......

i do however believe they need a seasonal drop in temperature (hibernated/brumated)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
I live in a part of Canada where it gets pretty cold especially at night. I have my tortoise in my room but when I wake up I’m freezing and can’t imagine what it’s like for her.
What can I do at night to keep her warmer? (and is the one heat lamp enough during the day?)
The usual temperature inside her tank is around 25°c but at night it can drop to 15°c
If we are talking about an adult hermanni, they can certainly survive 15-16C at night as long as they can warm up. I prefer to keep little ones no lower than 20-21C at night, but they can handle lower if needed.

One heat lamp is not enough. You also need ambient light, ambient heat, and UV.

Read through this one, and there is a heating and lighting breakdown at the end.