COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm turning to my fellow know-it-alls for the answer to this question: Are my broken sump pumps recyclable or do they go in the garbage? I use dirty water sump pumps to circulate the water through a filter for my snapping turtle. Because they run day and night, they don't last long. I get maybe one full winter, spring, summer, autumn season out of one pump. The shelf in my garage that holds all these broken down pumps is full and sagging, so I'd like to put them out for the garbage collector. Hence my dilemma. Our city has three trash receptacles - garbage, recycle and green waste. Which receptacle do I put the pumps in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got an email from my son in Texas this a.m. telling me that a kid in my step great grandson's school had brought a gun to school and was playing with it. He dropped the gun and it went off. The school was immediately put on lockdown, along with a couple other schools in that same area. No one was hurt, thank goodness. Evidently it's ok in Texas to have guns and carry them, but how irresponsible of those parents to make the gun so handy that the kid could find it and take it to school. And the kid had obviously NOT been schooled on gun safety.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Kayaking along the rivers that feed the great Chesapeake Bay often finds us exploring all those little streams & creeks that feed the Bay. This often can only be done at “High Tide”
I'm turning to my fellow know-it-alls for the answer to this question: Are my broken sump pumps recyclable or do they go in the garbage? I use dirty water sump pumps to circulate the water through a filter for my snapping turtle. Because they run day and night, they don't last long. I get maybe one full winter, spring, summer, autumn season out of one pump. The shelf in my garage that holds all these broken down pumps is full and sagging, so I'd like to put them out for the garbage collector. Hence my dilemma. Our city has three trash receptacles - garbage, recycle and green waste. Which receptacle do I put the pumps in?

I would say - garbage. It’s not green waste & although there are pieces to recycle, it’s not the kind of thing dumped in a recycling bin. Some “handymen” like to disassemble motors & get usable bits....but id trash.

Attachments

• DC84AF29-ACE7-4C0B-869A-5A5142CE45A2.jpeg
    DC84AF29-ACE7-4C0B-869A-5A5142CE45A2.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks Heather, yesterday Opo did his morning ritual. There was brief sunshine so he waited in his usual basking area. Got tired of waiting, went back in his box and the rest of the day ( for hours) just looked outside. 70° so it was a little cool. I would pet his head and talk to him. But he was happy where he was. Finally he went to his sleeping position and I covered his box.
I was worried about his actions, but Rose kept saying " he is fine ". I am sure he will be happier today. 80° and sunny!
He's probably as tired of the cooler then normal temperature as you. I don't hibernate Saphire but he still goes through his slow down time in the winter. Doesn't eat as much everyday so maybe not maintaining his normal weight. Opo gained a little. Have you been flashed yet??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Have you folks heard il Volo sing? OMG!! They give me goose bumps. I hate it when my scheduled TV show is pre empted, but this evening it was so they could show il Volo. Oh lordy, those guys can sing!!!
I looked them up on utube last night. I saw their classical and their Hispanic rock music. I love the song they originally did on probably American Idol. I think I actually saw that episode a few years ago. What was really fun and funny was...I saw my favorite Hispanic rock singer in one of their videos. ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I got an email from my son in Texas this a.m. telling me that a kid in my step great grandson's school had brought a gun to school and was playing with it. He dropped the gun and it went off. The school was immediately put on lockdown, along with a couple other schools in that same area. No one was hurt, thank goodness. Evidently it's ok in Texas to have guns and carry them, but how irresponsible of those parents to make the gun so handy that the kid could find it and take it to school. And the kid had obviously NOT been schooled on gun safety.

Oh wow. Well...maybe there could be a law. If your registered gun is not in your control, report it stolen or be in trooouble. Just my thoughts.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy new Week! :)
This Week-end I built a new greenhouse for my horsfieldii. I will post some pictures when I will install on the enclosure in few weeks.
I do the lids like that for my outdoor enclosure. It's 4' × 8'. So the lids are 4' × 4' and covered with hardware cloth. Both have hinges and a lock. I have a horsfieldii also. I don't lock the padlock unless I leave home. I just set it so raccoons or such can't wiggle their way into my little guy.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

This kind of stuff makes me SO angry! People are always griping about their loss of rights and such but they don’t understand nor educate themselves on the responsibility that comes with those rights..kids are no longer kids these days..their innocence stolen by exposure to ignorance....the very same ignorance that limits and restricts the rights of deserving people.. it’s a vicious circle !

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
He's probably as tired of the cooler then normal temperature as you. I don't hibernate Saphire but he still goes through his slow down time in the winter. Doesn't eat as much everyday so maybe not maintaining his normal weight. Opo gained a little. Have you been flashed yet??

There was definitely an exposure moment posted... lol

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
I do the lids like that for my outdoor enclosure. It's 4' × 8'. So the lids are 4' × 4' and covered with hardware cloth. Both have hinges and a lock. I have a horsfieldii also. I don't lock the padlock unless I leave home. I just set it so raccoons or such can't wiggle their way into my little guy.
I never close the greenhouse with more than leaves, my enclosure is high and hide from the road by a wall. :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
There’s been an old bird house in our back garden for many many years now....was there when we bought our house. After all this time, and no maintenance.....the roof disintegrated, but the body was in good enough shape to attempt a new roof..... so, here’s a new roof. I’ll probably give it a shingle or some paint & get it back out Quickly.

72A20674-B97D-4AA0-AD88-BA871849FA6F.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
And the old bird house refurnished. New roof, some new color, a new perch....and shiny shingles on the new roof!
The bottom half of this “bird house“ is cut out so bees & wasps & bumble bees can inhabit. In fact, there are a few old wasp nests in there as we rehab. “This Old Bird House” is ready for a new season.

1154F380-BC87-4168-91AE-15C7D796D028.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There’s been an old bird house in our back garden for many many years now....was there when we bought our house. After all this time, and no maintenance.....the roof disintegrated, but the body was in good enough shape to attempt a new roof..... so, here’s a new roof. I’ll probably give it a shingle or some paint & get it back out Quickly.

View attachment 287324
It looks like a quaint little home in a really old village...and very worth saving.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There was definitely an exposure moment posted... lol
Yes...I couldn't remember if that happened lately or not. I was just thinking in text...probably not a good idea but wondering if Opo is a teenager or full grown adult.?and still doing a healthy weight gain. I never got to raise a baby.