COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Good morning... looks like everyone got a lot accomplished yesterday.. taxes, leaf blowing, etc... I turned up some dirt for a small garden... I started some seeds in a tray for transplanting and started a few outdoors as well.. I want to see which way grows better... we should have some cucumbers for pickling, watermelons and strawberries... and for my tortoises, some pansies and violas. Have a little bit more to do today.. mostly just enjoy the sun shine and spring looking weather....

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning... looks like everyone got a lot accomplished yesterday.. taxes, leaf blowing, etc... I turned up some dirt for a small garden... I started some seeds in a tray for transplanting and started a few outdoors as well.. I want to see which way grows better... we should have some cucumbers for pickling, watermelons and strawberries... and for my tortoises, some pansies and violas. Have a little bit more to do today.. mostly just enjoy the sun shine and spring looking weather....

Looks like you got lots accomplished as well! We have too many darn free ranging Whitetail Deer that gobble up our vegg gardens. I’m planting sunflowers this year. Multi-flowering sunflowers that should be overlooked by the deer, and provide some cover for birds bees butterflies.

Cold here - but it’s nice n sunny.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Looks like you got lots accomplished as well! We have too many darn free ranging Whitetail Deer that gobble up our vegg gardens. I’m planting sunflowers this year. Multi-flowering sunflowers that should be overlooked by the deer, and provide some cover for birds bees butterflies.

Cold here - but it’s nice n sunny.
We've had some sun here for about a week. Trees were starting to put buds on, daffodils and hyacinth were opening, so friday I made plans for working in the yard and weed eating and the like. When I got up Saturday I was full of enthusiasm looking forward to the tasks...Raining, thunder, lightening, wind and 35 degrees. Crud! Too bad I hadda stay in and watch old movies...This morning, same thing, sigh, so guess I'll be stuck inside playing with my birds and watching NASCAR.012.JPG014.JPG021.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All the color combinations that Budgies come in, and your babies all look like the parents. Not to say they're not beautiful, just wondering why you're not getting other colors too.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
All the color combinations that Budgies come in, and your babies all look like the parents. Not to say they're not beautiful, just wondering why you're not getting other colors too.
The natural color for wild Budgies is the basic green and yellow, all parakeets are descended from that color. Some are especially bred for different combos. The dad, (Charlie Sheen) is a harlequin, blk, white, blue. So I put Lindsey Lohan (yellow with a green back) and Charlie thinking I might get yellow and black or an unusual combination. I've had solid yellow babies, a few like Lindsey, a couple with small black splotches on the wings but not any of the unusual combos I was hoping for. Lindsey has already laid 2 fresh eggs and ALL the babies are still in the nest. Today I took out the new eggs, put in 3 phony eggs and 2 that didn't hatch from her last clutch. The directions for the phony eggs says that parakeet hens count their eggs... really? So I'm hoping she stops laying and sits and gets over all this broody nature...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The natural color for wild Budgies is the basic green and yellow, all parakeets are descended from that color. Some are especially bred for different combos. The dad, (Charlie Sheen) is a harlequin, blk, white, blue. So I put Lindsey Lohan (yellow with a green back) and Charlie thinking I might get yellow and black or an unusual combination. I've had solid yellow babies, a few like Lindsey, a couple with small black splotches on the wings but not any of the unusual combos I was hoping for. Lindsey has already laid 2 fresh eggs and ALL the babies are still in the nest. Today I took out the new eggs, put in 3 phony eggs and 2 that didn't hatch from her last clutch. The directions for the phony eggs says that parakeet hens count their eggs... really? So I'm hoping she stops laying and sits and gets over all this broody nature...
Only way to do that is to remove the box.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Only way to do that is to remove the box.
all my research and the mom and pop pet store says that a bird as broody as this one might lay them on the floor of the cage or maybe get egg bound by taking the box out. She still has all her babies and is laying more eggs... The Vet who used to treat Bob told me to do it this way and so did my other sources. gotta stop her...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just greens for Opo. They say you can grow plants 40% faster. The dirt here is so lousy. I thought I might think out of the box.
Why what were you thinking I was going to grow??

Ogh, maybe tomatoes or other greens. “Greens“ grow so quickly that it’s easier i think using a flower box. Sam’s Club has some nice grow boxes...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
S
We've had some sun here for about a week. Trees were starting to put buds on, daffodils and hyacinth were opening, so friday I made plans for working in the yard and weed eating and the like. When I got up Saturday I was full of enthusiasm looking forward to the tasks...Raining, thunder, lightening, wind and 35 degrees. Crud! Too bad I hadda stay in and watch old movies...This morning, same thing, sigh, so guess I'll be stuck inside playing with my birds and watching NASCAR.View attachment 287127View attachment 287128View attachment 287129
Sweeet..?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well I guess they wouldn't mind if you plant dandelion greens next door? Right?
This is Oregon...dandelion should be the state flower. I moved to this house in 2005...the area was flooded with dandelions. I had a large Sulcata then (and I was younger) and I used to take plastic bags and wander the neighborhood and I would bring home large bags of the weed. Huge amounts....anyhow, now almost 15 years later it's like a scavenger hunt to find them. My neighbors yards are almost dandelion free and mine will be yellow with them in a couple weeks...and I am now trying to 'clean up another neighborhood...lol...for my 2 Sulcata...