COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
This is Oregon...dandelion should be the state flower. I moved to this house in 2005...the area was flooded with dandelions. I had a large Sulcata then (and I was younger) and I used to take plastic bags and wander the neighborhood and I would bring home large bags of the weed. Huge amounts....anyhow, now almost 15 years later it's like a scavenger hunt to find them. My neighbors yards are almost dandelion free and mine will be yellow with them in a couple weeks...and I am now trying to 'clean up another neighborhood...lol...for my 2 Sulcata...
Our kroger now sells organic dandelion greens for people food. Too bad your neighbors don't know they could make a few bucks. I.takes a lot to kill off dandelion. Digging It up won't work. so what have they been up to. Saphire loves the bright yellow flowers. He thinks they're yummy. He likes the flowers so much he ate a poof ball once

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you folks heard il Volo sing? OMG!! They give me goose bumps. I hate it when my scheduled TV show is pre empted, but this evening it was so they could show il Volo. Oh lordy, those guys can sing!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Ogh, maybe tomatoes or other greens. “Greens“ grow so quickly that it’s easier i think using a flower box. Sam’s Club has some nice grow boxes...
I put the head of some left over collards in the dirt last year and it rooted and is still growing. Toretto dosent like anything (store bought) but turnip greens so he wouldn’t touch it. It actually looks like a tree now. Stayed green with leaves all winter too... crazy stuff!

7498DFBE-71CB-4AEA-AA1C-D374BB09C925.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Happy Monday everyone, Opo only gained not quite a pound this month.
He has been on a 3lb + monthly weigh in. Is this normal?
I wouldn’t worry at this point. He still gained and unless your noticing any other problems, he probably just pouted and stayed inside more due to the weather...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Our kroger now sells organic dandelion greens for people food. Too bad your neighbors don't know they could make a few bucks. I.takes a lot to kill off dandelion. Digging It up won't work. so what have they been up to. Saphire loves the bright yellow flowers. He thinks they're yummy. He likes the flowers so much he ate a poof ball once
I have been digging them out in my neighborhood for almost 15 years...that is why there are none growing there anymore. I only 'pick' them out of my yard...and planted some that I pulled out from the neighborhood and had a good root system.... I have one tort who only eats the flowers, but will eat a massive pile of them. But my Sulcata eat leaves and all....in fact. my box turtles will eat the leaves as well...

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
Cant wait for some pics!
OK OK… :p
So it is a small greenhouse I adapted.
Two panels are movable but I chosen to srew the left one.

With the wedge not used for the non-movable panel I saw it in the middle and use it as reinforcement between the opening.

I didn't have enough time to install the new greenhouse so the old one is still in service for few weeks. :)

To finish just a picture of my tortoises enjoying the Sunday meal.

Both of them are rescue, that's why the male shell isn't so flat.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Have you folks heard il Volo sing? OMG!! They give me goose bumps. I hate it when my scheduled TV show is pre empted, but this evening it was so they could show il Volo. Oh lordy, those guys can sing!!!
I'll have to watch. The name sounds Hispanic and that's some of my favorite.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have been digging them out in my neighborhood for almost 15 years...that is why there are none growing there anymore. I only 'pick' them out of my yard...and planted some that I pulled out from the neighborhood and had a good root system.... I have one tort who only eats the flowers, but will eat a massive pile of them. But my Sulcata eat leaves and all....in fact. my box turtles will eat the leaves as well...
I kinda doubt that you killed the dandelions because I believe that if you don't get to the very bottom of the root, you'll see their bright yellow faces next year. Saphire loves the leaves too. But he sniffs each one before he'll eat it. We have a land snails here. I suspect that's why. He's a vegan through and through.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I wouldn’t worry at this point. He still gained and unless your noticing any other problems, he probably just pouted and stayed inside more due to the weather...
Thanks Heather, yesterday Opo did his morning ritual. There was brief sunshine so he waited in his usual basking area. Got tired of waiting, went back in his box and the rest of the day ( for hours) just looked outside. 70° so it was a little cool. I would pet his head and talk to him. But he was happy where he was. Finally he went to his sleeping position and I covered his box.
I was worried about his actions, but Rose kept saying " he is fine ". I am sure he will be happier today. 80° and sunny!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
OK OK… :p
So it is a small greenhouse I adapted.
Two panels are movable but I chosen to srew the left one.

With the wedge not used for the non-movable panel I saw it in the middle and use it as reinforcement between the opening.

I didn't have enough time to install the new greenhouse so the old one is still in service for few weeks. :)

To finish just a picture of my tortoises enjoying the Sunday meal.

Both of them are rescue, that's why the male shell isn't so flat.
Great job! You have skills, everything looks square. ? Sometimes I think a smaller species is the way I should have went. But I have Opo and there is nothing that could make me part with him.?

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
Great job! You have skills, everything looks square. ? Sometimes I think a smaller species is the way I should have went. But I have Opo and there is nothing that could make me part with him.?
Doing a hole on wood is less than my engineer level but I let my lil brother to do it because I gave him the both tortoises, I was just the hands and he was the brain. :p
At the end you just need a jigsaw and a pencil! :)

Because of my lack of area I only have "small" tortoises & turtles but at the end I hope have some big ones.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This is all new to me. I probably will make mistakes. I will check out the grow boxes.

I think this is what I saw on the floor at Sams, they have other cheaper types as well.

E4870E14-E043-4A13-92AA-BD0B6605B948.jpeg

Whats nice is that they are elevated, made from resin (light weight, durable, won’t rot).

About this item
  • Watering system: The self-watering system helps ensure proper moisture levels
  • Drainage system: A built-in tap lets you remove excess water effortlessly
  • Construction: Durable resin stands up to wear and tear
  • Dimensions: 33.46"H x44.76"W x 18.56"D