Cocos habitat and life updates

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
If you want to be scientific about it, you need to eliminate variables. At the moment it could be the coco, it could be the cypress mulch, it could be the light, or it could be something else. Start systematically eliminating 1 thing at a time. I would start by changing the light to a known quality bulb, if that doesnt work, then change the substrate, if that doesnt work then we have narrowed down the options at least.
That’s my goal to narrow it down!! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Also when in the water I hear some noises from him from his nose!! ??

So I can definitely tell my poor baby is sick!

What’s the best remedy for this? Warmer enclosure...warm soaks??

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Also when in the water I hear some noises from him from his nose!! ??

So I can definitely tell my poor baby is sick!

What’s the best remedy for this? Warmer enclosure...warm soaks??

Do you check the temperature of the water when you give him soaks? I normally have to change water every 6-7 minutes when I soak mine as water will get cooler with time.
If water gets cold, babies can catch a cold.

I put the gel on juts now! ???

I need prayers man!! I’m stressing!! ???

Sending prayers!!??

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I put the gel on juts now! ???

I need prayers man!! I’m stressing!! ???
Mama stressed. Baby stressed.

Are you keeping a diary/journal on changes made & reactions--both medical, soaks, temps & enclosure changes. I'd start, if not.

If you are, go back thru your notes & see if you can correlate anything to his medical condition(s), including looking at comments & issues on your threads. Time consuming, I know!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I haven’t, really! But everything I have noticed or been concerned about I have posted here!

He definitely want like like before I put in the substrate! I noticed all of that after the substrate was in!! ???

Before he was on sand so I took it out and he was sleeping on small towels and sheets!!

I
Think he’s being fussy because I went in and fixed up his house slightly some and he was looking for food but now he’s inside his hide! ?? I feel like I of I don’t bet him situated fast with all these changes...

?? I don’t even want to imagine...what he will do!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I’m trying not to stress to stress baby tort...I’m trying to keep calm...but this back and fourth of what to do and not do is starting to take a toll out of me!! I gotta get other stuff done!! I have a business to run too!!??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
FYI this is the most recent purchases I got!
You can see that his light won’t get here til next week! Should I just grab something else that’s temporary for the pet store? I’m running out of options and he needs something ASSAP!! I have a different Tub light available..and someone gave me a UVB light!! ??

Attachments

• A688876F-B141-4B99-A1C6-63394804F8FB.png
    A688876F-B141-4B99-A1C6-63394804F8FB.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 5

harrythetortoise

Virginia
FYI this is the most recent purchases I got!
You can see that his light won’t get here til next week! Should I just grab something else that’s temporary for the pet store? I’m running out of options and he needs something ASSAP!! I have a different Tub light available..and someone gave me a UVB light!! ??
Which basking light are you using currently?
And what kind of UVB light did you get?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Which basking light are you using currently?
And what kind of UVB light did you get?
So unfortunately “I know they said not get the ones like a bulb” but I was running out of options and I needed something ASSP” but the ones I got are ZOO MED! So not sure how great they are but I still haven’t put them in! Im scared too! Right now Im using a regular bulb that Tom also said was equivalent to the ones he orgially wanted me to get him but couldn’t get at the time!

harrythetortoise

Virginia
So unfortunately “I know they said not get the ones like a bulb” but I was running out of options and I needed something ASSP” but the ones I got are ZOO MED! So not sure how great they are but I still haven’t put them in! Im scared too! Right now Im using a regular bulb that Tom also said was equivalent to the ones he orgially wanted me to get him but couldn’t get at the time!

Can you post a picture of the zoo med bulb?
There are several types..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This has gotten all confused. Last I heard you were still using that off brand bulb that you bought at the specialty lighting store. The labeling was not clear on what kind of bulb it is, and that is when your eye problems started.

I've told you about three or four times now to get rid of that bulb, but you've been waiting for the right bulb to arrive. Get that bulb out of there and replace it with whatever incandescent bulb you can find ASAP.

What ZooMed bulb do you have in hand now? Can you find regular round screw-in type incandescent bulbs anywhere?

Last I recall your temps were fine. What is the overnight low temp, and what is the basking area temp directly under the bulb?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
This has gotten all confused. Last I heard you were still using that off brand bulb that you bought at the specialty lighting store. The labeling was not clear on what kind of bulb it is, and that is when your eye problems started.

I've told you about three or four times now to get rid of that bulb, but you've been waiting for the right bulb to arrive. Get that bulb out of there and replace it with whatever incandescent bulb you can find ASAP.

What ZooMed bulb do you have in hand now? Can you find regular round screw-in type incandescent bulbs anywhere?

Last I recall your temps were fine. What is the overnight low temp, and what is the basking area temp directly under the bulb?
Tom, there is nothing available without LED on it! Believe me I asked and they said everything was online! I went to the bulb and battery place and the one I was given was the only one they had! No other brand they had either without LED! And we already discussed the online situation with regulation crap! So I decided to start looking at reptile stores because it was the last resort! I posted pic of the lights below!

The overnight low is at 70-78 depending when the heater turns back on!
Cooler ends is @74
His basking area now is @87 and his humidity is at 39% right now!!

harrythetortoise

Virginia
This is want I was given!

The coild type uvb lamps are not recommended as they can burn tortoise eyes.. I wouldn't use it. As for the basking lamp, I think the incandescent type is preferred but until that one arrives next week maybe use that instead of the one you have now.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Tom, there is nothing available without LED on it! Believe me I asked and they said everything was online! I went to the bulb and battery place and the one I was given was the only one they had! No other brand they had either without LED! And we already discussed the online situation with regulation crap! So I decided to start looking at reptile stores because it was the last resort! I posted pic of the lights below!

The overnight low is at 70-78 depending when the heater turns back on!
Cooler ends is @74
His basking area now is @87 and his humidity is at 39% right now!!

Overnight temp and basking temp seem too low - bump it up to around 95 under the light, and because Coco is sick, overnight temp should be above 80 as well.
Tom will correct me if I am wrong..

Reactions: Tom

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Wait come again? Which one should I I use or not use?

The lamp itself or the bulb?

The left one (coild uvb) - don't use.
The right one (round basking light) - use it until your incandescent lamp arrives from Amazon. Make sure it is at a height so temp is around 95 under the light.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
???? it goes up to 92 at times!

I bought him a smaller hide for him since he lived his green one a lot but I though it was affecting him more!!

Attachments

• 2BDF5909-1206-424B-87E1-0C53F972F2B1.jpeg
    2BDF5909-1206-424B-87E1-0C53F972F2B1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • AD6BD820-43F0-41B3-916B-CD4B7E26F0F9.jpeg
    AD6BD820-43F0-41B3-916B-CD4B7E26F0F9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • A4C40049-F06F-41CA-9D61-8EB459935EC1.jpeg
    A4C40049-F06F-41CA-9D61-8EB459935EC1.jpeg
    954.8 KB · Views: 8