Cocos habitat and life updates

harrythetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Ok can someone please explain something to me?
Brunation VS Hibernation

What’s the difference?
someone on the desert tortoise group suggested to brunate coco unless he’s not stable enough then don’t!!
Aren’t mammals the ones who supposed to hibernate not reptiles??

Any clarification is welcomed!!!??

I watched this video recently and it has been very informative!
I don't think Coco should be hibernated this year as he is not in good health..

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Man since I started to work again I haven’t gotten a chance to soak coco or give him medicine because he’s always sleeping once Im off! Any suggestions?

Happytort27

CA
I’m happy to announce that coco’s kapidolo farms food is here!!

@Tom I got a free sample of the Mazuri ????
That’s not actually Mazuri. Mazuri is larger and a slightly darker color than the layer crumbles. If you look on Kapidolo Farm’s website, it has a section where it describes/breaks down the ingredients in the layer crumbles. The crumbles have more calcium and it is organic, unlike Mazuri, but they are both great products. Just letting you know for future reference.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
That’s not actually Mazuri. Mazuri is larger and a slightly darker color than the layer crumbles. If you look on Kapidolo Farm’s website, it has a section where it describes/breaks down the ingredients in the layer crumbles. The crumbles have more calcium and it is organic, unlike Mazuri, but they are both great products. Just letting you know for future reference.
I didn’t even know what I was expecting as a free product! ??

But, I’ll be sure to look out for a darker version of it next time! I’m slowly gonna introduce coco with his these new goods! All he got before was peppers some squash...and the pellets and lettuce!! ??

So he’s loving the food I give though! Although I still can’t get portions right lol!

But I’ll get it!

Happytort27

CA
But, I’ll be sure to look out for a darker version of it next time!
Remember, Mazuri is a supplement. It is not needed at the moment if you have the layer crumbles. I think you are fine right now.

Also, if you are curious about hibernation, you can look at this thread as well (post #19 by Tom). Just keep in mind that Coco cannot brumate this year because you recently received him. :)

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Remember, Mazuri is a supplement. It is not needed at the moment if you have the layer crumbles. I think you are fine right now.

Also, if you are curious about hibernation, you can look at this thread as well (post #19 by Tom). Just keep in mind that Coco cannot brumate this year because you recently received him. :)

Yep, I’m definitely not letting him! He’s been regularly sleeping and waking up to eat and drink water!! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
So, I think I have to take out the substrate and wet it or something! Coco woke up with white eyes again! ???

I been giving him the eye drops !!

What’s the recommendation here now guys?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
So, I think I have to take out the substrate and wet it or something! Coco woke up with white eyes again! ???

I been giving him the eye drops !!

What’s the recommendation here now guys?
Have you been giving the drops consistently as prescribed? I swear I saw you post last night that you werent able to give the drops for a period of time because he was always sleeping when you got home from work. You need to be consistent and get coco’s enclosure set up as recommended by numerous people, on many occasions, several days ago. Get the right bulbs set up, have correct and consistent temps and humidity and he should get better. It’s taken far too many days to get this dialled in when you have a tortoise that isn’t well. I’m not trying to be mean or rude, I just don’t think you’re taking his care and needs as seriously and in the urgency that they should be taken in. He can’t get better if his needs aren’t being met and if he doesn’t have the correct environment to live in. I wish you all the best with coco.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Have you been giving the drops consistently as prescribed? I swear I saw you post last night that you werent able to give the drops for a period of time because he was always sleeping when you got home from work. You need to be consistent and get coco’s enclosure set up as recommended by numerous people, on many occasions, several days ago. Get the right bulbs set up, have correct and consistent temps and humidity and he should get better. It’s taken far too many days to get this dialled in when you have a tortoise that isn’t well. I’m not trying to be mean or rude, I just don’t think you’re taking his care and needs as seriously and in the urgency that they should be taken in. He can’t get better if his needs aren’t being met and if he doesn’t have the correct environment to live in. I wish you all the best with coco.
I give it to him late!! His light goes on @9am and off at 9pm!
Only Monday and Tuesday I’m home in the morning now! Wednesday-Friday I’m at work from 8am-2:30pm! I also working on my business so over the weekend I’m basically not home till like his nightlight is already off or he’s inside his hide!! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I have ordered the lights already!! I’m doing what I can...”I didn’t have the funds first of all” and then I ran into a problem with ordering his light off of Home Depot! So I had to reach out with what was the next best thing! That’s why I got myself a Job now finally!! I been out of work since March 2020! I was struggling with money resources for a while now...and remember coco landed on my lap...but I didn’t realize how much I had to do to get things right! I spend literally days and nights researching everything...till I landed on this forum!

I honestly wished I would prob gotten prepared before getting him..but I didn’t know...he just happened to be handed over to me after someone moved out of state! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I also bought a gel from Amazon! Still haven’t returned! Considering using it just because of his eyes!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I have ordered the lights already!! I’m doing what I can...”I didn’t have the funds first of all” and then I ran into a problem with ordering his light off of Home Depot! So I had to reach out with what was the next best thing! That’s why I got myself a Job now finally!! I been out of work since March 2020! I was struggling with money resources for a while now...and remember coco landed on my lap...but I didn’t realize how much I had to do to get things right! I spend literally days and nights researching everything...till I landed on this forum!

I honestly wished I would prob gotten prepared before getting him..but I didn’t know...he just happened to be handed over to me after someone moved out of state! ??
Hey, Hey, Hey. You should have seen what happened when my husband's brother & wife decided they could take over care of his 89 yr.-old father & his wife at 96 yrs. old, one of whom was in flown-blown dementia & the other in full-blown denial. And all they thought they had to do was "hire help." It wasn't pretty.

You can do this!! We are always unprepared for life's blessings.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Hey, Hey, Hey. You should have seen what happened when my husband's brother & wife decided they could take over care of his 89 yr.-old father & his wife at 96 yrs. old, one of whom was in flown-blown dementia & the other in full-blown denial. And all they thought they had to do was "hire help." It wasn't pretty.

You can do this!! We are always unprepared for life's blessings.
Oh I know I can do it, I just had to do
Some sacrifices just so he can get what he needs and help myself out too! He is my little love ❤️
Sometimes though I just feel like I’m being attacked though that’s all! Sometimes I feel like people don’t understand where I come from! I may seem to not understand certain things or have a clear clarification on what is needed...or maybe just simply not able to get certain things for whatever reason right there and then! I know it can also seem like I’m not doing what I need to do..but that is not true..I used to have bearded dragons before but I wasn’t aware of proper care and they didn’t last me until adulthood...so I’m being extra cautious with this one because I don’t want to pass through this tragedy ever again!! ???
Like who stays up and goes days or weeks without sleeping for an animal??
THIS GILR DOES!!!??

I don’t complain or rant that often..I am really low back most times but.....it comes a point where it gets to you!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Oh I know I can do it, I just had to do
Some sacrifices just so he can get what he needs and help myself out too! He is my little love ❤
Sometimes though I just feel like I’m being attacked though that’s all! Sometimes I feel like people don’t understand where I come from! I may seem to not understand certain things or have a clear clarification on what is needed...or maybe just simply not able to get certain things for whatever reason right there and then! I know it can also seem like I’m not doing what I need to do..but that is not true..I used to have bearded dragons before but I wasn’t aware of proper care and they didn’t last me until adulthood...so I’m being extra cautious with this one because I don’t want to pass through this tragedy ever again!! ???
Like who stays up and goes days or weeks without sleeping for an animal??
THIS GILR DOES!!!??

I don’t complain or rant that often..I am really low back most times but.....it comes a point where it gets to you!!
I don't have my tort yet. I read thru lots here on the site so I know a lot less than you, not having owned a tort before. But the criticism comes out of concern for your tort, not for criticism of you.

After having read the texts on Sherman who died today but the thread goes back to Dec. 1, 2020 & another one earlier this week about a tort where part of an organ was coming out of a crack where the yolk sac once was & getting no update from the person asking for help, I can see why the experienced lose patience w/newbies.

This wasn't a great Saturday. We lost a tort today, or did we?