Cherry Head with Watery Eyes

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Looks good. Just make sure you're able to secure it to the enclosure. As lightweight as that is, falling in can still do some damage.

I'm not trying to assume anything.. just trying to be helpful :)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I've only had my girl for 2 months so maybe she was dehydrated when she came to me, her tank that came with her was bone dry. :\

And thanks :) I will probably be using nails hammered into the edges of the enclosure to keep it from being able to be knocked over off. ^_^

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you don't want to listen to my 30 plus years of tortoise keepiing fine, your tort, your choice. but hydration and watery eyes go hand in hand, I will stop saying it now, because I guess I don't know any better, If you got a better idea i am all ears. :)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to me. Before I moved her to this new enclosure she was in a completely enclosed tub set up that had stable high humidity. Not arguing, just stating what I think... just like you. :)

Anyways, I finished her cover!

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
That should help out a bit; it only takes a few days of being too dry to start seeing the effects.

I might also suggest making the substrate deeper and really soaking it so that the bottom is very wet...as long as the surface is not wet to the touch, which it won't be in that setup unless you totally flood it, it should not cause any shell issues and will help keep more constant humidity.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
With the cover the humidity is staying higher, which is great. I'm going to be getting a humidifier to have on for a few hours a day as well.

Usually it would have been dried out already but it's been a few days and the substrate is still dark so that's awesome!

And the substrate is already around 6 inches deep, I don't think I could make it any deeper....

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
And the substrate is already around 6 inches deep, I don't think I could make it any deeper....

OK, yeah that should be sufficient to hold some moisture; it should be damp past the first inch or so.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Yep! I dump a bunch of water in and mix it all up again about once a week. :)

Katelynn

Lawrence, Kansas
Ahhh ok, I did not know that! I just know what the garden store lady told me. Well then, that sucks as I couldn't find ANYthing else to use as substrate anywhere right now. :\
Buying like 10 blocks of Eco Earth from the pet store would be wayyyy too expensive.
We have a couple feet of snow right now and no hardware stores or garden centers or anything have anything right now. :\
The garden store I went to, where I got the peat moss, only had tiny bags of top soil where I'd have to buy like 50 bags to fill this enclosure. Bleh.
Not sure if you're an Amazon buyer, but Amazon has coconut coir in different weight blocks that I thought were relatively cheap. Of course, I'm not sure how much you need for your enclosure. Just thought I would drop that in!

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Not sure if you're an Amazon buyer, but Amazon has coconut coir in different weight blocks that I thought were relatively cheap. Of course, I'm not sure how much you need for your enclosure. Just thought I would drop that in!

I ordered something for the first time from Amazon this week, ha. I need a looooot of substrate to fill this enclosure though..