Help ... watery eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougielove

5 Year Member
Hi
Hope someone can help.
We've had our redfoot 'Dougie' now for over 2 months. I have recently noticed that he has watery eyes. I'm wondering if anyone knows what could be causing the problem.
We use coco fibre as a substrate, which we spray at least twice a day. We have a 50w basking light with temperatures between 80-90. We have a 5.0 13w uvb coil bulb. An the humidity stays around 70-80%.
He is still his active self and eats normally, I'm just wondering what the reason for his watery eyes could be?
Any help will be muchly appreciated. :).

Zeko

5 Year Member
Dougielove said:
We have a 5.0 13w uvb coil bulb.

I'd suspect it's the coil bulb. They have been linked to eye damage and blindness. Switch it our for a tube, or a mercury vapor bulb.

Hope this helps!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Yes, correct on the coil bulb. Can cause blindness..usually in redfoots watering eyes means they are too dry. Humidity needs to be increased...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides the light, some tortoises shed tears when they are too hot or too dry.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Probably a humidity issue. As to the coil bulbs there is much debate over them but I find no current research on them to prove the ones under current manufacture have any issues. 5-7 years ago I know of documented cases but they've been improved since then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...but one can't be sure they have bought a newer version or the old ones. The old ones were not removed from the store shelves.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Yes, correct on the coil bulb. Can cause blindness..usually in redfoots watering eyes means they are too dry. Humidity needs to be increased...

How do you tell if you have one of those lights? I don't remember exactly what type of bulb it is but I got it at petsmart. I was feeding my yellow foot just now and just noticed that he didn't flinch when I reached in front of him. Tried it a couple more times and nothing just kept eating.

How else can Torti go blind?

Dougielove

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help 😄

I'm at a loss to what it is, the temp and humidity are at recommended level. He is very active, eats regularly and has no issues with sight. I will change the coil bulb and look for an improvement, his eyes are not streaming but are watery to an extent and seem to cause no issues for him.

I will try and get a photo for you all, what I think are watery eyes may in fact be normal?

Thanks again.... Anymore advice would be great 😀

abclements

5 Year Member
Wherethetortiroam said:
How do you tell if you have one of those lights? I don't remember exactly what type of bulb it is but I got it at petsmart. I was feeding my yellow foot just now and just noticed that he didn't flinch when I reached in front of him. Tried it a couple more times and nothing just kept eating.

Ive noticed that with my cherry. But when hes not eating he reacts to my hand. Sometimes he just chooses to ignore you because youve been around him enough when hes eating. So try putting your hand in front of him if hes just walking around and see if he reacts.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
abclements said:
Wherethetortiroam said:

Ive noticed that with my cherry. But when hes not eating he reacts to my hand. Sometimes he just chooses to ignore you because youve been around him enough when hes eating. So try putting your hand in front of him if hes just walking around and see if he reacts.

I think your right he flinched at my hand just a sec ago. He's just used to me is all, cause when I watch him he finds the entrance to his hide just fine and manouvers around obstacles just fine too.

I was just being paranoid/worrisome

Zeko

5 Year Member
Wherethetortiroam said:
abclements said:
Wherethetortiroam said:

I think your right he flinched at my hand just a sec ago. He's just used to me is all, cause when I watch him he finds the entrance to his hide just fine and manouvers around obstacles just fine too.

I was just being paranoid/worrisome

I would still recommend switching out that coiled bulb. If he is not blind now, don't continue to play Russian Roulette with the little guy!

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
I don't think it is zeko, I posted this in another thread but the bob says exo-terra solar glo 125w.

That's good right?

Zeko

5 Year Member
Wherethetortiroam said:
I don't think it is zeko, I posted this in another thread but the bob says exo-terra solar glo 125w.

That's good right?

If that is the Bulb you have, then it will be fine. Simply go look at the bulb. Is it "bulb" shaped or is it "coiled" shaped?

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Zeko said:
Wherethetortiroam said:

That's good right?

If that is the Bulb you have, then it will be fine. Simply go look at the bulb. Is it "bulb" shaped or is it "coiled" shaped?

Ohhh duh k I wasn't thinking simple enough I'm good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.