Cherry Head with Watery Eyes

KTyne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chilliwack, BC
I know this topic has been done before but not sure how to go about finding it.

Ever since I moved my Cherry Head to her new enclosure she's had watery eyes and she always has her eyes half closed. She also always has dirt on her face from burying herself.

So I'm thinking her eyes are irritated from the soil getting in them? But even when I bath her and try to rinse her face off and I can't get the darn dirt off. It's stuck to her face :\ And she is shy so if I try to wipe her face she pulls in to her shell.

Someone suggested trying to rinse her eyes with saline solution? But the issue with that is that how do I keep this from recurring if I can clear all the gunk out?

Help please!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
What are you using as substrate? Is it kept moist? What is the humidity in the enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a couple of different reasons for watery eyes. One is that it's too hot in the habitat. Some tortoises 'weep' in order to cool their faces. Another reason is that he isn't moist enough. Like HLogic suggested, the substrate should be moist and the environment should be humid.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Got a picture of her eyes? I know what you mean about not being able to wash dirt off their heads. Seems like dirt gets caked on and becomes a permanent part of their body :p

I have a red that seems to always have watery eyes but it doesn't seem to be an issue. I've asked around and it seems like some reds just have that emo look to them. However, you said that her eyes are half closed which could be a problem.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Temperature is at a constant 80F ambient temp with about a 90F basking area controlled by a Herpstat.
Humidity is a problem in the new enclosure, it dries out sooooo fast! Right now I have her enclosure covered 3/4s with a plastic drop sheet but the end with the heat (where she stays most of the time) dries out super fast even though I mist every day.
My partner and I are going to be building a tent style lid for the enclosure like I've seen someone have on the forum. (PVC pipe in a tent shape with plastic sheeting around it).
Hopefully once the cover is made the humidity will be more stable again!
I'm guessing it's that the soil is just too dusty for her? It's sterilized, organic peat moss that I got in a huge brick from the garden store.

*edit, I will get a couple photos in a minute here before I soak her!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The peat moss, if it is sphagnum moss, is the likely culprit. It is rather acidic and if in the eyes will cause irritation. Switch to coconut coir or cypress mulch (or a combination of both).

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Peat moss is nothing like spaghnum moss. Peat moss is basically the exact same thing as Eco Earth :) (peat moss isn't actually moss, it's dirt, lol)

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Peat moss is nothing like spaghnum moss. Peat moss is basically the exact same thing as Eco Earth :) (peat moss isn't actually moss, it's dirt, lol)

Peat moss, the fine grained stuff usually sold at garden centers and used as a soil amendment, is sphagnum moss that is 'mined' from old peat bogs and milled to the final texture. If this is what you are using, it is problematic.
il_570xN.490259467_isdt.jpg

Long fiber sphagnum, harvested from the surface, after rinsing and rehydrating does not have the dust and retains moisture longer. It is not as acidic as the milled peat. This can be mixed with coir and/or cypress mulch, as well.
BB20090720a.jpg

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Ahhh ok, I did not know that! I just know what the garden store lady told me. Well then, that sucks as I couldn't find ANYthing else to use as substrate anywhere right now. :\
Buying like 10 blocks of Eco Earth from the pet store would be wayyyy too expensive.
We have a couple feet of snow right now and no hardware stores or garden centers or anything have anything right now. :\
The garden store I went to, where I got the peat moss, only had tiny bags of top soil where I'd have to buy like 50 bags to fill this enclosure. Bleh.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'd like to clarify that any medium that dries can become dusty. In two years, my sphagnum moss has broken down with my cypress mulch and has become a nice, soft, fluffy consistency. If I allow it to dry, it does get dusty (which is a reason why I spray things down daily).

You can choose any of the substrates that people like, but depending on where you get it, it can be disasterous. I bought a "bargain" amount of coco coir but it had boatloads of salt and killed my plants even though it was labeled "safe for plants".

Also, maybe the eye issue might not be from the substrate.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Watery eyes are usually a sign of dehydration, or being to warm.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
She has only been in this new enclosure for a week so I can't see it being dehydration yet? And yes, even the Eco Earth I used in her smaller tub enclosure got a bit dusty when it dried out but she didn't seem to bury herself in there (mainly I assume because the humidity was high enough)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
She's too dry. Soak her and find a way to increase that humidity.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
If you've read this whole thread, I soak her daily and mist her enclosure frequently and am going to be making a full cover for her enclosure this weekend. ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Watery eyes is a hydration issue, we know you soak, but just because they are in the water, does not always mean they drink.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If you've read this whole thread, I soak her daily and mist her enclosure frequently and am going to be making a full cover for her enclosure this weekend. ;)
I did read it :). Keep soaking an find a way to increase your humidity.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
She has only been in this enclosure for a week, so as I already stated, I don't see how dehydration could be an issue.

I am nearly finished building the cover for her enclosure and after it's finished I shouldn't have these issues anymore.