CBW Permit for native tortoises help

kytuan

5 Year Member
first i need to say english is not my first langue , im not good in english.
second i want to apply for a CBW permit for native turtle ( box turtles) and radiated tortoise , and i have the website for the form already http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-41.pdf but some of question there is out of my english .
i would like to ask someone here can help me with a copy of CBW registration. im so thankful for your help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Where are you? Are you saying that you need a CBW permit to keep box turtles in your country? Because "native" to me means the turtles are in the land they originate in, and box turtles are from the U.S. - no permit needed.

kytuan

5 Year Member
yes , im at New York -USA, and i want to add some of three toe box turtle and radiated tortoise. Thanks

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Three toes you don't need a cwb permit, but for radiated you do unless you find a seller in new york. No offense but New York isn't the right climate for a Radiated

kytuan

5 Year Member
thanks .

that's why im looking for the CBW permit .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not up on the state laws for New York, but some species of box turtle are prohibited from owning. And I think that if you buy a radiated from someone in New York, a permit isn't required. Only if it crosses state lines. But I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For New York natives (box turtles) you will need a NY state issued permit. If you want to export box turtles from the US then you will need an export permit for CITES II animals, and that will be a Federal level permit, contingent on the state level permit.

So for box turtles first is a state permit, then if you want to trade them to another country, a federal permit.

Radiated still need a state permit in NY, is my understanding, whether you get them in state or not. Then once you have a state permit you can get them in state. To get them from out of state, you would then need a federal or CBW permit.

You might see if someone in NYTTS.org speaks your primary language, and could better inform you, without the difficulty of a second language. What is your primary language, I may know someone for a direct conversation.

On another matter, Radiateds were first bred in Colorado in 1972 and hatched in 1973 for the US, a climate where they were maintained indoors for 8 months of the year.

Will

kytuan

5 Year Member
yes , my langue is vietnamese , and i dont need the federal permit to export out of the us , i just want a permit to keep radiated tortoise , i have all the form to apply for CBW permit already but some of question there 4,5,6,9c,9d that i dont really understand . and i need help for those question , if you have a copy of your registration form for those question , you can help and send it to me , it will be a great document for me to consult on that . im so thankful for your help.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Thank you for that, Will. :)