CDW permit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi,

I would like to know based on your experience (not what you heard) about some aspects of the CBW permit.

I have some specific questions

ONE

In reviewing the application form 3-200-41 I see the question. . .

"5. Provide a specific description of how your proposed activities are going to facilitate captive breeding of the
species identified above, including your long-term goals and intended disposition of any progeny."

Can you simply state that "I don't intend to breed them, I just want one as a pet?"

Seriously, is every one who has a single radiated interested in breeding them?

Does having one imply that you will get others so that you can breed them? Two is no assurance either as they could be the same sex, without regard to endoscopy or incubation temp., for that matter 50 is still no assurance if you buy hatchlings albiet those odds change.

TWO

That disposition aspect of this question seems straight forward " I will sell the offspring " but does that need more words like " only to other CBW permit holders in state or out of state who will also breed them "

I wrote an AZA studbook, and know well that many specific individuals are not recommended for breeding, so what do you think based on how you have actually filled out this form?

I'm happy to receive responses off forum via e-mail or PM.

Will

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Will said:
Hi,

I would like to know based on your experience (not what you heard) about some aspects of the CBW permit.

I have some specific questions

ONE

In reviewing the application form 3-200-41 I see the question. . .

"5. Provide a specific description of how your proposed activities are going to facilitate captive breeding of the
species identified above, including your long-term goals and intended disposition of any progeny."

Can you simply state that "I don't intend to breed them, I just want one as a pet?"

Seriously, is every one who has a single radiated interested in breeding them?

Does having one imply that you will get others so that you can breed them? Two is no assurance either as they could be the same sex, without regard to endoscopy or incubation temp., for that matter 50 is still no assurance if you buy hatchlings albiet those odds change.

TWO

That disposition aspect of this question seems straight forward " I will sell the offspring " but does that need more words like " only to other CBW permit holders in state or out of state who will also breed them "

I wrote an AZA studbook, and know well that many specific individuals are not recommended for breeding, so what do you think based on how you have actually filled out this form?

I'm happy to receive responses off forum via e-mail or PM.

Will

For question 5 my answer to that question was--
My goal is to aquire young endoscopically sexed tortoises for future breeding.I would like to get them young so I can make sure they are healthy so that someday they will produce healthy offspring. I would like to do my part in making sure these tortoises have a future in this world. They are becoming more and more endangered and I would like to try to turn that around and educate the public. My long term goal is to try to save this species by breeding them.

The person that helped me get the permit has been doing this a long time, he suggested I write something to that affect. From what I understand they want to hear that you would like to educate the public and if you do breed them you are willing to participate in the studbook program

Question 7, 8 , 11 I put N/A

From what I understand not very many people are denied, they might ask for more information or a letter from a mentor. The people they usually deny are people that live in an apartment witn no access to a yard. If you need a letter from a mentor I know of someone that will do that for you, He deals with them all the time

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Will said:
I've begun a dialogue with one breeder, who is very helpful. Thanks BigRed, do you breed, if not now, in the future? Will

I have a breeding group of redfoots. I have 3 radiated and making payments on another female. So in the next couple months I should be able to get her. That will be 2 sexed=scoped females and 2 unknown. Way down the road I hope to be breeding them. My biggest is about 5 inches so just waiting for them to get big. I did get my permit so I would have more options as far as purchasing goes. My 2 females are studbooked and 2 others are not. They are beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.