What tortoises and other reptiles require a CBW permit?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi guys, I recently applied and recorded my Ny endangered species permit. Originally I had the mind set of purchasing a radiated tortoise. before I decide on an endangered species I would like to know which reptiles apply for the CBW permit and NY endangered species permit. Thanks, Ben

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
CBW is needed for Galapagos, Radiated, and Geometric. The ploughshare is also an Endangered Species Act listed animal. But you will not find any in the US that are covered under the CBW Lacey Act limitations. Same goes with the Geometric. So those being the only ones, I would recommend the radiated. As they are easily obtainable and a right size animal for the weather in your area. Unless of course you plant o facilitate and construct a very large enclosure and barn for a Galapagos. Turtle Wise there are some as well. But not sure if your looking into turtles and just tortoises.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
tortadise said:
CBW is needed for Galapagos, Radiated, and Geometric. The ploughshare is also an Endangered Species Act listed animal. But you will not find any in the US that are covered under the CBW Lacey Act limitations. Same goes with the Geometric. So those being the only ones, I would recommend the radiated. As they are easily obtainable and a right size animal for the weather in your area. Unless of course you plant o facilitate and construct a very large enclosure and barn for a Galapagos. Turtle Wise there are some as well. But not sure if your looking into turtles and just tortoises.

I am also looking into purchasing a turtle. Before I apply for a CBW permit I think I may look for a NY breeder, thanks, Ben

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
For turtles I have found the following species listed on the ESA. Also forgot to add the Bolsen to the list of tortoises too.

Tortoises:
Bolsen Gopherus flavomarginatus
Ploughshare Geochelone yniphora
Geometric Psammobates Geometricus
Galapagos(and all ssp) Geochelone Nigra
Radiated Geochelone radiata

Turtles:
Mexican Box Terrapene coahuila
Mexican Black Soft Shell Trionyx nigricans
Brazilian Sideneck Phrynops hogei
Burmese Peacock Turtle Morenia ocellata
Bahamian Cat Island Turtle Trachemys terrapen
Central American River Turtle Dermatemys mawii
Cuatro Cienagas Softshell Trionyx ater
Inagua Island Turtle Trachemys stejnegeri malonei
Indian Sawback turtle Kachuga tecta tecta
Indian Softshell Trionyx gangeticus
Indian Peacock Softshell Trionyx hurum
Short Neck Turtle Pseudemydura umbrina
South American Red lined turtle Trachemys scripta callirostris
Indian Spotted turtle Geoclemys hamiltonii
Three Keeled box Melanochelys tricarinata

And in your Sector(5) Northeast the following are native listed. In addition NY may have their own regulations and listed animals as well. But above is the federal species of FOREIGN listed animals requiring a CBW and or Endangered species permit.
http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/pub/SpeciesReport.do?lead=5&listingType=L

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ben, It seems you already understand this from reading post #3, but for other readers, you only need a CBW permit to SELL the above listed species across state lines. No permits needed to possess, buy or sell the above animals within your own state. All of the above animals can be donated or given on breeding loans across state lines with no permits too.