Do you need a cbw permit for spider tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitz12

5 Year Member
I want a spider tort so bad and am in the process of getting one, do you need a cbw permit for them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
To my knowledge you only need it for Galops or radiated tortoises. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And you only need a CBW if you are selling one of the above across state lines. You can do whatever you want with them within your own state with no permits.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
They are not listed on the American Endangered Species Act, so you don't need a federal permit like you would for Radiateds, Galapagos Tortoises and other species listed on the ESA.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Just to clarify what is covered by the ESA. There are 29 turtles and 7 tortoises listed. The tortoises listed are the Radiated, Ploughshare, Geometric, Galapagos, Mojave Desert, Bolson, and Gopher Tortoises.

Hope this helps. Many more species are listed by CITES, which restricts them coming here, and obviously limits their availability.

In my opinion, the ESA is much less effective than CITES.

BFrederick

5 Year Member
Given that they also hail from Madagascar like the Radiated and Ploughshare and their populations must be under similar distress from human activity there; I don't think it will be too long until they are added to the ESA.
Agreed?
I have no expertise in this to back this up, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.