Can't keep humidity up in closed chamber!

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
I wasn't having any issue with my tank with plyboard over it but I now have a enclosure with The glass front opening doors and I can't get the humidity to stay over 40 to 50%. The vents are covered with saran wrap there are only two small vents. I pour buckets of water in the substrate and spray it several times today. There is condensation on the windows . I have it set up according to Tom thread. I just don't understand what the issue is. The only thing I can think of is that the gauge is broken. But it is only about a month old. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get that humidity up?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's one of those disc type ones from the pet stores, it is probably not reading correctly. They never do. If you have condensation, your humidity has to be higher then 40-50. I would look into buying a more reliable type of temp and humidity tool as those are two very important issues that needs to be correct to keep your tort healthy.

Oh and if it is a better kind. I would return it for a replacement.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree....if you have condensation your humidity is pretty high.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
If it's one of those disc type ones from the pet stores, it is probably not reading correctly. They never do. If you have condensation, your humidity has to be higher then 40-50. I would look into buying a more reliable type of temp and humidity tool as those are two very important issues that needs to be correct to keep your tort healthy.

Oh and if it is a better kind. I would return it for a replacement.

Yeah, it is a digital and it was like $25. Not top of the line but not a cheapie. I feel like I am suffocating the little guy.
I don't know if I have the receipt. So it will probably have to wait because I am totally broke at the moment

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can't find the receipt. Buy another one and return this one with the receipt of the new one. Yes, it doesn't sound like the cheap kind I am speaking of. Are you sure your temps are correct too? If your temps are right, 80 and you have condensation, you should be good.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post a picture of the gauge you are using . If it the one with a probe on it the thing needs to be in the enclosure. The sensor that reads the humidity is on the body of the thermometer.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381722740.090909.jpg

It is an exoterra and yes the probe goes in the tank. The digital part is out of the tank. I pulled it out of the tank and it said 24 %. (The temp went down when I pulled it out) there is condensation.

That is a good idea to rebuy and take back if I have to

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Doesn't the whole thing go in the tank? Probe for temp and the unit for humidity? I have one similar to that for my frogs. The probe of mine is only for temp. The humidity is read by the unit, which has to also be in the tank.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
Doesn't the whole thing go in the tank? Probe for temp and the unit for humidity? I have one similar to that for my frogs. The probe of mine is only for temp. The humidity is read by the unit, which has to also be in the tank.

Well, shoot now I don't know! But there is no sticky thing for the number part so I don't think so. Plus it was registering fine when it was the other tank. There is also no way my house is 50%
Humity. I'm in ca. I will google now jic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your probably right. Mine only has a probe. Yours has a fan looking thing on the end, which I have never seen. I would return it and get another. It must be defective or something.

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
I used to have that product--- it worked for 2 months or so before the screen stopped reading and was defective. I read similar reviews online from others.

Might be worth your time/money to just get another kind. Good luck.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I think I have similar. Mine got stuck one time. So I pulled the battery and put it back in. That rebooted it and worked fine after that.

Ann from CT

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I've had the same unit for over 2 years and have never had a problem with it. It has a recording feature that gives high and low readings for both temperature and humidity.

Being in the coastal area of Virginia, my readings never get very low on the humidity side. I find when it gets very humid here that my open table will get up to about 70% when I'm not running any heat, AC, or lights. In the winter, while running the heat, the humidity will drop down into the 40% range. Then I have to hang a damp towel in the room and add more water than usual to the substrate to bring the humidity up closer to the 55% range.

I also have the torts and a water turtle in a spare bedroom so I can shut the door to help keep temps and humidity in range.

Can you close off the room where your tort resides?

Can you add an aquarium to the room?

Hang a few wet towels in the room.

Make the fit of your enclosure more air tight but not totally air tight; you do want some circulation.

Good luck.