Can't keep humidity up

maisiejb

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello everyone, I have a western Hermanns tortoise that is about 6ish months old and I can not seem to keep the humidity at 70% in his enclosure. I have him in a large plastic tub with the lights secured and hanging from above. I have wrapped tinfoil over the entire thing including the lights and that kept up the humidity a little bit but I also don't want to keep it completely closed because then the enclosure gets too hot. I close it completely at night after I turn off the lights and that keeps the humidity up during the night, but I don't know how to keep it up during the day. Any suggestions? Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It has to be a closed chamber. If closing it off completely makes it too hot then the heat probably needs to be raised.

maisiejb

Michigan
It has to be a closed chamber. If closing it off completely makes it too hot then the heat probably needs to be raised.
What type of enclosure would you recommend? I don't mind buying a new one but I want to make sure I do it right this time. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of enclosure would you recommend? I don't mind buying a new one but I want to make sure I do it right this time. Thank you!
Having the lights on the outside creates a chimney effect that draws all your heat and humidity up and out of the enclosure. You need all the heating and lighting contained INSIDE the enclosure. There are many companies making closed chambers now. They require much lower wattage bulbs because they are so efficient at holding in humidity and heat. Animal Plastics is great, but they take months to get your enclosure to you. Our own @Markw84 designs and builds the most perfect tortoise enclosures, and they are expandable as your tortoise grows.

A greenhouse tent is better than nothing, but it does not have the insulation properties of a closed chamber. The ones I've seen also had a strong plastic smell, and they are difficult to see through.