How to keep thee humidity up?

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
I have a Greek tortoise and a Hermanns tortoise, and I was wondering how I could keep the humidity levels up without a humidifier?

I have them on exoterra plantation soil and I have been misting it every now and then with a bottle, but I was wondering if there was something I could do, like pour a bit of water on it so it's moist, to keep the humidity levels high?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
Well I have a Greek hatchling and a Hermanns hatchling, so I'm aiming for the 60%-90% range.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I'm no expert, But I though Mediterranean torts like Hermanns should be around 40 to 50% humidity in there hide, And can be as low as 20% in there basking spot. I maybe wrong, but I personally would aim for 50%. My reds need 80% and hermanns are not at that level I don't think. See what others say to this post and then make a decision. Good luck

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
I'm no expert, But I though Mediterranean torts like Hermanns should be around 40 to 50% humidity in there hide, And can be as low as 20% in there basking spot. I maybe wrong, but I personally would aim for 50%. My reds need 80% and hermanns are not at that level I don't think. See what others say to this post and then make a decision. Good
I'm no expert, But I though Mediterranean torts like Hermanns should be around 40 to 50% humidity in there hide, And can be as low as 20% in there basking spot. I maybe wrong, but I personally would aim for 50%. My reds need 80% and hermanns are not at that level I don't think. See what others say to this post and then make a decision. Good luck

On the care sheets on this forum it says they should both be around 70%. I have learned that with my spray bottle I can get it 80%-90%, and then it falls as time passes.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What are you measuring your humidity with. How high from the substrate is this gauge.

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
What are you measuring your humidity with. How high from the substrate is this gauge.

It is a ZooMed analog gauge, and it is about 4-5" from the plantation soil substrate. This will be moved Monday when the new habitat arrives.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'd rest your gauge at the back on the substrate stood up and see what reading you get. Is your substrate moist and what temps have you got. If your substrate is warm and moist it will be about 90% humid. This is more important than air humidity. Most will disagree but if you talk to redfoot expert breeders some will tell you 60% air humidity is ok as long as substrate is moist for them to bury into. At ground level with warm moist substrate where your tort lives it will be high humidity. Make sure its warm and moist not cool and moist.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also do you use sphagnum moss. It holds moist but doesn't go mouldy and encourage bacteria which in turn adds to shell rot. So sphagnum moss is very good to use as bedding in hides and to mix in or lay on your substrate.

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
Also do you use sphagnum moss. It holds moist but doesn't go mouldy and encourage bacteria which in turn adds to shell rot. So sphagnum moss is very good to use as bedding in hides and to mix in or lay on your substrate.

No. I use eco terra plantation soil