Closed chamber 101

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I recently pulled out my old closed chamber baby tortoise enclosure for another member that more or less "stood me up". And never came to get it.
But it's given me the opportunity to take photos and show how a closed chamber can be made and what is and is not needed:
First if all you want a large vessel. This is a custom aquarium. It is large, but not very tall.
It has a plexiglass lid on hinges with a strip florescent lamp mounted to/hung INSIDE. In this case, an 18" 5.0 tube. Because this is for Redfoot. It is the only light. But I had placed low wattage warming pads to the side, back and bottom and as I began to experiment with the system, I found that I didn't need any of the additional heat. (The heating pads never got used)
I also used a single, digital thermometer and humidity gauge.
I just poured water into the corners about once every 1.5 weeks and it gave off 80% plus humidity. And just the lamp fixture kept the enclosure at 79 to 83 degrees.
My house temperature is a constant 73 or 74 degrees.
If you have an air conditioned house, I suggest you try this simple, inexpensive method.

20180204_103907.jpg 20180204_103927.jpg 20180204_103939.jpg 20180204_104001.jpg

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO
Wow this is such an easy looking set up! I’ve been searching this site for “closed chamber enclosures” and finding it surprisingly difficult to find pictures. Thanks!

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia
I recently pulled out my old closed chamber baby tortoise enclosure for another member that more or less "stood me up". And never came to get it.
But it's given me the opportunity to take photos and show how a closed chamber can be made and what is and is not needed:
First if all you want a large vessel. This is a custom aquarium. It is large, but not very tall.
It has a plexiglass lid on hinges with a strip florescent lamp mounted to/hung INSIDE. In this case, an 18" 5.0 tube. Because this is for Redfoot. It is the only light. But I had placed low wattage warming pads to the side, back and bottom and as I began to experiment with the system, I found that I didn't need any of the additional heat. (The heating pads never got used)
I just poured water into the corners about once every 1.5 weeks and it gave off 80% plus humidity. And just the lamp fixture kept the enclosure at 79 to 83 degrees.
If you have an air conditioned house, I suggest you try this simple, inexpensive method.
Are the lid hinges attached to the black aquarium rim or to the glass?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just want too repeat. This is for hatchlings, not adults.
The hinges are glued on? What type glue did you use?
Can't believe someone wouldn't show for a nice closed chamber. So many people would love to be close enough to pick it up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are the lid hinges attached to the black aquarium rim or to the glass?[/QUOTE
Either.
I use aquarium silicone adhesive on the hinges. After it dries/cures over night it becomes a very good bond.
It will attach the hinges to plastic or glass just as well.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey

View attachment 229420 View attachment 229421 View attachment 229422 View attachment 229423
What thickness is the plexiglas?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just want too repeat. This is for hatchlings, not adults.
The hinges are glued on? What type glue did you use?
Can't believe someone wouldn't show for a nice closed chamber. So many people would love to be close enough to pick it up.
Clear aquarium silicone glue