Can i leave my RT outside tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

5 Year Member
I live in Scottsdale, Az... Last night was the first night I let my RT sleep outside. The low temp was about 57degrees. Of course today the temp dropped and tonight it's suppose to drop to 48 degrees. Should I bring her inside or let her stay in her burrow outside tonight? I hate moving her in and out, but if it's too cold of course I will.

Niki

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
Where Russian tortoises come from, it gets a LOT colder than that.

That's what I figured... But wasn't sure if she was use to the cold because she has been inside at night and outside during day. But I am really wanting ( and I am sure she is too) her to be out 24/7. I may be babying her a bit. I am going to let her be outside. Thx!

Niki

5 Year Member
Thank you.... Probably knew the answer, but being a new tort owner I am doubting myself. On the subject of temps real quick.. Do you know if my RT will be ok outside during the really hot months of summer here? It can get up to 115 degrees, will she burrow underground?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I'm in So Cal with about the same temps, and all my Russians are outside. They never come in unless they're sick. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Shelly said:
Niki said:
Shelly said:
Where Russian tortoises come from, it gets a LOT colder than that.
I am going to let her be outside. Thx!

That is the best way tortoises should be kept, whenever possible.

It is true that the Central Asian tortoise comes from a region that gets colder than Arizona. However, when determining the conditions a Russian tortoise can tolerate, it is important to consider whether the animal's enclosure allows him to burrow or not.

Russian tortoises are active with daytime temperatures in the 70s to low 80s, like to bask for a while at 90-100*F, prefer overnight temperatures in the 60s, and like to brumate in the 40s. If exposed to temperatures outside those ranges, they are going to try to burrow to improve their situation.

If it's too hot outside (say, above 100*F) for prolonged periods, they are going to dig, and might even aestivate. If it gets colder than 60*F during the growing season (or colder than 40*F in the winter), then they are going to dig deeper to find a warmer, more stable environment.

An overnight temperature of 48-57*F is fine, but only if the tortoise has access to some kind of burrow, loose soils, or leaf litter, so he can find a warmer subsurface layer. If his enclosure has none of these things, then he going to be forced to tough it out in the colder overnight temperatures. That won't necessarily kill him, but it could stress him or weaken his immune system and leave him vulnerable to disease.

So, to answer your question, if your outdoor enclosure has a place for him to burrow into, he'll be fine. If not, he might get sick.

Niki

5 Year Member
She does have a burrow. Made with plywood, bricks and dirt on top. She is in there now. I hope she doesn't dig underground, but I doubt it will get below 50 tonight.

image-2471432432.png

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well said. They need the option to burrow control their temps, whether too hot or too cold. The enclosure needs to be large enough to allow for this.

If your tort can burrow and it isn't wet, he should be OK at 48f, but it must warm up during the day for basking.
(Wish my torts could stay out year round, sigh).

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russian tortoises can easily be kept outdoors day/night year round in your climate. In order to ensure that the tortoise(s) is safely and properly acclimated to it's outdoor climate they should not be put out in it until the late spring or early summer when temperatures are more consistently warmer. As long as appropriate shelter from the elements is provided in a safe and secure enclosure your tortoise will do what comes naturally to them when the different seasons arrive.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Not to hijack Niki's thread, but I am considering creating a good, dry area for them to burrow into over winter (after acclimating over summer/fall).
The PNW gets so much rain over the winter (no insulating blanket of snow, just wet), that concerns me.
I don't see any posts from tort keepers in the PNW who let Russians overwinter outside.
Still, if I can keep somewhere that won't get saturated, it might work?

Status
Not open for further replies.