warm enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
My male Russian decided that he would be spending the night outside tonight, I have been bringing them in and I did bring in my female but he is in a place I cannot reach.

It's supposed to be a low of 54 tonight, he should be fine right?

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1370745139.427926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Temperature wise, he should be fine. Can any predators get to him? Raccoons can be very resourceful.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
No, I actually just finished making sure of that today, it's got 2 pad locks keeping it secure. There is no way for anyone to get in or out except maybe a small song bird but definitely not a raccoon, plus he's a good 2 feet back behind a cinder block entrance so it would have to be a long armed coon hahaha.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I'm happy to post that Master Roshi was sitting on his basking stone waiting for breakfast this morning.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Glad to hear he made it through the night.. We're you nervous all night?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Haha yea at first but I figure he knows what's best for himself so I wasn't too worried. Although it was nice to see him waiting for food on his stone this morning when I got up.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
How long have you had him? I have had my Boris for just 5 months now so this will be the first summer that we've had him. I haven't left him out all night yet.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I have had both my russians for 11 years. They have always had an outdoor area, but never safe enough for unsupervised time due to space restrictions, until now that is.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's great! As long as they can bask and warm up in the am, night temps can get quite cool. You're right, Russians do seem to know; I've decided they can predict the weather.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Should I just leave them out there at night even if they aren't in a hide? Or should I bring them in? Or should I put them into a hide?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: warm enough?

jjsull33 said:
Should I just leave them out there at night even if they aren't in a hide? Or should I bring them in? Or should I put them into a hide?

If there is no hide , a tort needs plants cover or similar to hide under. Joe has a cold frame outside that he sleeps in.... except when he chooses to dig in under our Japanese maple or under the Red Hot Poker Plant or the Cotoneaster...

As long as their is some plant cover they will find their own hideaways where they feel safe. Often a favourite spot will be one that it is in direct sun first thing next morning; they are clever that way.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
JJ, did your Russian tortoise camp out last night? I hope so, because it was a perfect tortoise night here in Denver: only down to 60*F. I woke up this morning at about 7am, and it was already 70*F, so I put my Russians out early. It's gonna reach 96*F today, so I'm going to bring them in before midday. Of course, if you have a proper outdoor setup, you can leave them out all the time.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I ended up bringing them in last night because they were just kind of sitting in the middle of a bare spot in each pen a while after it was dark, but I brought them back out this morning around 9 and I plan on just leaving them there tonight as it was definitely good enough last night that I could have. Instead of bringing them in, my room mate is going to mist the pens for me in a while just to make sure its not getting too hot on them.

They have 2 hides each plus a fair amount of plant cover to hide in. The pens are secure enough to keep them out 24/7 this summer, the only thing holding me back is the fact that I have never done that with them and am slightly paranoid, but its for the best so it is going to happen starting tonight haha.

Do you bring them in on really rainy days? or do you just leave them outside for it?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Mine are outdoors year round. Its just like making a larger indoor enclosure. Sunny areas, shady areas, cover to hide or burrow in. Russians are one of the sturdiest species, I have learned to trust their instincts for what they need.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I wish the weather was good enough for them to be out year round, but the summer months will have to do for now haha. I have another thread with pictures of their outdoor pens, however I forget what the thread is called haha.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
So they are outside tonight, she is in a deep hide but he is just sitting out in the open. Should I move him into a hide? Or just leave him? I assume just leave him as it was nearly 100 today so the ground should be fairly warm most of the night and he can move if he gets too cold. No way a predator can get them either.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Put him in the hide after dark if he is still out.. If you do it every night he will get the hint and do it on his own after a few nights.

I did this with mine when I first got them. After a few nights they did it on their own and it's been this way every night since. I like knowing that they put themselves away each night :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
He used it the other night and uses them midday to escape the heat so he knows where they are, if he doesn't use it again tomorrow I'll start putting him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.