Comi's first night outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
las Vegas, NV
So, the weather has been pretty nice here in Las Vegas lately so I decided to set up an outdoor hide for Comrad. He seems to like it and had burrowed in last night by the time the sun went down. But I was too chicken to let him stay outside, so I dug him up (much to his displeasure :rolleyes: ) and put him in his penthouse inside. Today, I put him out at 10 am and he stayed out all day. He has again burrowed in his hide so I am going to let him stay there tonight. The low is supposed to get to 48 and he has some dirt and substrate (I stole the substrate from his penthouse) in there to burrow in. I shall see how he is acting tomorrow morning to see if this was a good experiment or not. I have seen other's post that if the temps are 48-57 degrees that he should be fine as long as he has burrowing material. So wish us luck :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like he is all set up! As long as he can get in to a good basking spot to warm up tomorrow, he will be happy.

Is his outside enclosure secure (or no worries?)

Let us know how it goes!

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
I am happy to report SUCCESS!!!! I woke up at 7:30am to check on him and he was still burrowed. So I stuck a thermometer out by his hide to start watching the temperature as it warms up. It was around 60 ish when I put it out there, but now that the sun has hit his spot (about 8:15 or so) it is now a toasty 90. I just went out to check on him again and he is up and basking in the opening of his hidey hole! YAY!!!!!!!! I was VERY worried all night long and didn't sleep that well :) When my husband tried to cover me with another blanket at 7:30 I instantly thought that Comrad doesn't have a blanket :-( Which is why I got up to check on him - LOL.

@ Lynne - yes my backyard is secure. Living in Las Vegas we have desert landscaping (lots of rocks and few plants), and my backyard wall is cement cinder blocks (standard in Vegas). The only place he can escape from (without digging under the wall for a VERY long time since the ground is so rocky & hard) is the gate and that is blocked by a piece of wood that he can't see over or around with a large Agave plant in a pot keeping it in place. So, yes until he figures out something else - it's secure :)

This is the overall of his outdoor hidey hole.
DSCN3510.jpg

Another view of his hide (the gray pot is for me to sit on while I chat with him :D )
DSCN3511.jpg

Comrad sun bathing after his 1st night outside :)
DSCN3509.jpg

A picture of inside his hidey hole with him burrowed in (this was from the 1st time he tried to spend the night outside. I have since added more substrate for him to burrow in deeper)
DSCN3502.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good for Comrad! Those RT's just love being outside.
I am jealous of your cinderblock wall and your current temps!

Status
Not open for further replies.