Can I feed my Russian tort succulents?

Lucy Stalone

Hey guys! Do any of you know if it is safe for a Russian to eat succulents or cacti? I have lots of them(succulents) and have seen them suggested as tort food some places online, but I'm not certain if they are safe and/or healthy. Suggestions?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Some examples of succulents that you can feed your tortoise that are easy to aquire are hens and chicks, Opuntia, and aloe. Like Zeropilot said, feed in moderation. I know my Russian likes most broadleaf weeds that grow in my backyard. I don't know where you live, but my backyard is filled with plantains right now. She also loves mulberry leaves from my fruitless mulberry tree. I also give mine mazuri pellets occasionally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys! Do any of you know if it is safe for a Russian to eat succulents or cacti? I have lots of them(succulents) and have seen them suggested as tort food some places online, but I'm not certain if they are safe and/or healthy. Suggestions?

I have experience feeding them aloe, ice plant, red apple ice plant, organ pipe cactus with the spines cut off and many varieties and species of opuntia. I feed a lot of opuntia over the summer months, but the others are all fed in small amounts and infrequently.

daniellenc

Maryland
Yes, but not the ones that I listed. To much will give them runny poop, and that's never good.

You listed leaves and weeds. Succulents are cacti, aloe, and other similar plants. I know here they sell several plants that are called succulents but don't have specific names and not all are safe.