Succulents for enclosure?

AnimalLady

So this weekend I want to pretty up Mac's home. Heading out to Homestead to get me some succulents! Found a neat farm that carries almost all of them! WOO!

My question, when i look up the safe to feed succulents on the Tortoise Table I noticed just about all of them say to feed in moderation, that being the case...is it okay to plant them in his enclosure? What if i'm at work and he goes to town on them, killing the whole in moderation thing?

Oh! Very important and I just thought of it ~ If i get them from this farm, they wont be safe would they? Where can i get safe succulents? Pesticide free ones?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I have a jade plant in my enclosure. It is in a pot though so they can't reach it unless I clip off the leaves and feed it to them. If they eat too much, it can have a laxative effect. I feed mine succulents about once a week. Aloe and hens and chicks are two good ones in addition to jade.

I would ask at the farm what, if any, pesticides they use and also what kind of soil the plants have been potted in. Normally they use fertilizer type soils. Go ahead and buy whatever plants you want, take them home and wash off the root ball as much as you can. Re-pot them in safe soil. Then just let them be for a while. I let any nursery bought plants "sit" for at least 10 months before I feed them, sometimes longer. This way, any chemicals that were on the plants or in the roots from the old soil will dissipate.

AnimalLady

So you wouldnt recommend me make a mini succulent garden in his enclosure?

I have some of that Purslane in my yard! Had no clue I could feed that, thanks so much!

AnimalLady

I have a jade plant in my enclosure. It is in a pot though so they can't reach it unless I clip off the leaves and feed it to them. If they eat too much, it can have a laxative effect. I feed mine succulents about once a week. Aloe and hens and chicks are two good ones in addition to jade.

I would ask at the farm what, if any, pesticides they use and also what kind of soil the plants have been potted in. Normally they use fertilizer type soils. Go ahead and buy whatever plants you want, take them home and wash off the root ball as much as you can. Re-pot them in safe soil. Then just let them be for a while. I let any nursery bought plants "sit" for at least 3 months before I feed them, sometimes longer. This way, any chemicals that were on the plants or in the roots from the old soil will dissipate.

Ok, well, that makes sense. I'll do just that, thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So you wouldnt recommend me make a mini succulent garden in his enclosure?

I have some of that Purslane in my yard! Had no clue I could feed that, thanks so much!
From my experience the nicest garden will soon be trampled FLAT and rendered an eyesore.
Best to grow it out of the pen.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I meant to put 10 months above...not 3...let them sit as long as you can...I know some people feed them sooner but I'm paranoid. I had a long talk with a person at the local garden center here when I first got my torts and they said pesticides can remain for over 6 months so they suggested the 10 month mark just to be sure.

AnimalLady

S
I meant to put 10 months above...not 3...let them sit as long as you can...I know some people feed them sooner but I'm paranoid. I had a long talk with a person at the local garden center here when I first got my torts and they said pesticides can remain for over 6 months so they suggested the 10 month mark just to be sure.
Whoa 10 months! Ahh, ok.. its going to be a while before it looks all pretty then lol. THanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some pesticides, like the ones that HOME DEPOT plants are treated with are systemic and will be with the plant like until the end of time.
However, you've got to figure that any plant growing for human use would be safe. And the hibiscus that I feed are mostly from old, proven bushes.

AnimalLady

From my experience the nicest garden will soon be trampled FLAT and rendered an eyesore.
Best to grow it out of the pen.

But it looks so boring, and plain and ugly. It needs life and I have no idea how to give it that besides pretty plants. I must brainstorm some more.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Some pesticides, like the ones that HOME DEPOT plants are treated with are systemic and will be with the plant like until the end of time.
However, you've got to figure that any plant growing for human use would be safe.
Yes, this is definitely a concern. I only get plants from small garden places that don't use the heavy duty chemicals. If they can't assure you that they don't then don't take any chances.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, this is definitely a concern. I only get plants from small garden places that don't use the heavy duty chemicals. If they can't assure you that they don't then don't take any chances.
That's cool because they would know best.:)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
But it looks so boring, and plain and ugly. It needs life and I have no idea how to give it that besides pretty plants. I must brainstorm some more.
The plants I keep in pots do just fine as long as the torts can't get to them. Just use pots that are large enough that you can bury it halfway and your tort still can't reach it.

AnimalLady

I'll be going to small nurseries and i'll make sure to ask them, like you said, if they cant assure me i'lll go somewhere else. Luckily where I'm going the area is all about homesteading (its called Homestead for a reason, right? lol) so ill be around lots and lots of nurseries!

AnimalLady

The plants I keep in pots do just fine as long as the torts can't get to them. Just use pots that are large enough that you can bury it halfway and your tort still can't reach it.

Do you know of a plant that you can recommend that will be safe to place in the enclosure and provide a place for him to hide out at, like a bushy type plant?