Russian tortoise and succulents !

lcoakley96

Location (City and/or State)
Ayer massachusetts
Hi everyone ! I’m a fairly new tortoise mom , I just had some questions about succulents .

I’ve found and done TONS of research on what succulents are or aren’t safe for my girl Shelly-Ann, I know even the ones that are safe for them are good in moderation but I still have some questions I can’t seem to find the answers for ...

1) how do I feed her the succulents ? Do I cut them up, or just pluck a piece ( I have some in her enclosure to liven it up)

2) one of the ones I have in herenclosure is aloe , do you cut it up and take the skin off or just them have it as is.

honestly any info I’d love to hear maybe it’s something I haven’t heard in my hours of research ???

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
For aloe, I cut the long "leaves" in 3-4 inch pieces, they love it. You can just pluck a piece too. I don't take the skin off.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
You're probably overthinking it to be honest, haha I do that too. But pretty much just feed them pieces they're able to takes bites out of and you're fine.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If you want to elevate it another came up with a wicked method. Get a threaded rod, two nuts that fit it and two large diameter washers. Put on one nut with a washer then the pad then a washer and other nut.

lcoakley96

Ayer massachusetts
You're probably overthinking it to be honest, haha I do that too. But pretty much just feed them pieces they're able to takes bites out of and you're fine.
Oh I defy probably am ! But I see SO many conflicting things on what to or not to feed them or how I’m like aahhh I just want to be safe ? but thank you so much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can just place a piece of aloe on the feeding tile/dish along with the other food. I like to attach some sort of clip or clothes pin to the enclosure and pin some food in the clip. But mostly, I just place it on a large tile.