Can a Toroise go up a ramp?

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I thought I read on here somewhere about someone taking their tortoise to college and they were going to put him in a 2 level cage with a ramp. Can a tortoise go up a ramp like that? I'm not planning to do that it was just something that stuck in my head and I had to ask.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yep, lots of people put ramps up to a second level.
The trick is to have sides or barriers to the ramp to stop the tortoise falling off!

Nell100

I thought I read on here somewhere about someone taking their tortoise to college and they were going to put him in a 2 level cage with a ramp. Can a tortoise go up a ramp like that? I'm not planning to do that it was just something that stuck in my head and I had to ask.
Hello! Here's Matilda climbing up an old piece of board that we had in the garden when we were clearing out our shed. As you can see she's climbing up slopes v well!
BTW I've never posted before. Live in central London. Have 3 tortoises. Harriet & Matilda are 12 years and we've had them for 3 yrs. Toggle is old, she's been in our family for 33 yrs.

image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello! Here's Matilda climbing up an old piece of board that we had in the garden when we were clearing out our shed. As you can see she's climbing up slopes v well!
BTW I've never posted before. Live in central London. Have 3 tortoises. Harriet & Matilda are 12 years and we've had them for 3 yrs. Toggle is old, she's been in our family for 33 yrs.
A very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you Nell and to Matilda, Harriet and 'old' Toggle.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
They're simply adorable.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Hello Nell, Thanks for the photos. I'm a new mother of two baby tortoises and I want them to have plenty of things to enrich their day. The ramp maybe just what I need to add to my yard as Sargent likes to climb on everything and look around. I think he's planning an escape. lol He has flipped him self over lots of times. He always get righted on his own but I still worry about him. Yaya is too busy eating to pay any attention to him. Of course, they are too little to tell their gender so I just assigned them one.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Hi and welcome
Hello, Barry There seems to be several people from the UK that have tortoises. My son just moved to London and I am going for a visit soon. Maybe I can meet some of y'all while I am there. I'm not bringing my tortoises on the trip. I don't think they would enjoy it much.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Yep, lots of people put ramps up to a second level.
The trick is to have sides or barriers to the ramp to stop the tortoise falling off!
I had not thought about sides but I do see that they would be good. My Sargent would probably climb up and jump off. Well, I don't know it tortoises can "Jump" per say, but he would try. He's my little daredevil.

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi shame thou I'm not in London I'm in Wales your always welcome

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Umm... by British standards it's a long way :D

Of course, it depends where in Wales you're based, but it would take at least 2.5 hours by car to get to the nearest bit.
Interesting, isn't it ?
To us in the UK or Morocco, it's a long way, to some of our friends in the US, it's practically next door!

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I used to drive 15-16 hours once a month to visit my kids just because. It's all perspective. Just like tortoises, mine are about 5-6 inches and I know they are little but my friends think they are big. I can't wait to see theirs faces in 10-15 years. Hopefully, I'll have some really big torts by then. WooHoo!