Little Alice's Condo

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
I finally got the job done. I painted Little Alice's condo. She used the condo all the time until a month ago when we took the ramp off to get it ready to paint. Between rain and doing allot of other things I could only get it primed at first. I had time and there was no rain so I get it done the other day. We added the ramp back. It only changed color, that's all.....

Well, When see first saw it she came running up the ramp and seemed so happy with my improvements. Little Alice did not want the ramp there anymore...Do they see color????? What happened???? She still goes up in it but the ramp must go..so she thinks....
alice condo1.jpg
alice condo2.jpg
alice condo3.jpg
alice condo4.jpg
alice condo5.jpg
alice condo6.jpg
I would fix the ramp and she would move it again many times....So it turns out when I first set it up I moved her food platter out of the greenhouse and into the condo..I think she didn't want her food there. I put it in the old spot in the greenhouse and she ran over and began to pig out. She seemed to stop trying to move the ramp. We staked it down to the ground until we can add a small stone step on the bottom of the ramp. This ramp is too heavy for one human to pick up but Little Alice can do that easily.

I will know better tomorrow but I think it was her way of telling me she wants her food in the greenhouse. Later I will try to have a tray in the old place and also in the condo.

So all I have to do it put the plexiglass back on it and get the electric set up. There will be insulation under the floorboards and a heat pad on one area of the floor and a hide box. There will be lights and even an oil radiator just in case....of the unforeseen things...Under the condo will get framed up and there will be a sand box for her to play in, on hot days.

When she gets an idea in her head she really can communicate. I think she has learned that I will figure out something that will work for her..We have become very close pals.

This is all so we will be ready for winter. Little Alice just loves playing in the snow. I thought she will have more freedom and more roaming space by letting her have a condo. She probably won't stay out there in winter at night for she has her own special little bedroom in the greenhouse for sleeping. She goes in there every evening when she needs a rest...like clockwork...I had better not move that or she will rip my house down...

20151115_191553.jpg
20161204_122455r.jpg
Don't know what I am going to do if she grows out of her little bed hid box. Must think about that before it happens...

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do see some color. I'm not sure if it's the color or the brightness of it. Reds/orange and white seem to really attract them.
Glad you figured out how to make her happy and keep the ramp.

Bee62

Germany
Hi,

you wrote the ramp only changed color, but it changed the smell too ! I suspect that it is the smell of the color you used for the ramp that she don`t like.
I would take a glove, some of her poop and decorate the ramp with her own poop smell.....:eek::)
Tortoises :tort: are something special ....:rolleyes:

Good luck !:)

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I just never thought of the smell....I will see what she does today since I moved her food back to the greenhouse. Then I may try the poop route. LOL

Bee62

Germany
I just never thought of the smell....I will see what she does today since I moved her food back to the greenhouse. Then I may try the poop route. LOL

Please keep us updated ! I am very interested in this experiment !:D

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I wasn't home today but she did it again. The difference is that we anchored it with stakes...She may have given up on it. I will see tomorrow....

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
So my hubby used 4 inch solid block to lift the ramp up and 1 added to each side. That seems to protect the wood sides. It was rainy out today and Alice didn't spend much time outside today. I will watch tomorrow and see how she does....
alice ramp.jpg

Bee62

Germany
So my hubby used 4 inch solid block to lift the ramp up and 1 added to each side. That seems to protect the wood sides. It was rainy out today and Alice didn't spend much time outside today. I will watch tomorrow and see how she does....
View attachment 215926

I am looking forward to what Alice will do ....:)