Bought wrong tortoise. Options?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Please be kind - I have never owned a pet.

Don't want to get lost in details -- I really think the sulcata was the wrong pet for us at this point in time.

My 11-yo wanted a pet and we bought a 4 month old sulcata from our local pet store in the first week of January of this year.

Is there an option for someone else taking the tortoise before it dies under our (lack of proper) care? Is it customary to pay the person who is willing to assume responsibility for our unfortunately nonsupportive choices?

As far as the tortoise's health -- it has gotten less and less active as the weeks go by. We have been soaking it and it was pooping for a couple weeks. Then it started to lose interest in eating and pooping has been less frequent, unless it is pooping in its enclosure and I don't notice.

I've searched through the threads here on tortoise forum -- just so many variables, and with my lack of experience on top of how scared I am of killing the little guy, I just think ... if someone else was able to rehabilitate it in an already-established environment. I feel really strongly that this is just not something we are going to be able to pull off in time to save this tortoise's life!

TIA for any options for relocating our friend!
If you can not keep him I'm sure a lot of people on this site are willing to give him a good home... The pet stores are just not really fond of taking care of tortoises. And they are not willing to tell people they don't know how to care for tortoises and most of the time they give you unhealthy tortoises and bad advise!

Virgina
Yes. Thank you. My concern is prioritizing, and not trying to do and buy everything all at once. I don't have the money or the energy to do everything. I need to take one step at a time and don't know what to do first. I think heat and enclosing the area is first --- i put cheap plastic around the cage a few days ago, which has helped with humidity. I think getting consistent temperature is the next thing to do.

But part of my concern is that we are very hot in summer and cold in winter. I'm going to have to change a bunch of stuff in a few months. Or maybe have an outdoor enclosure for the summer?

As I said -- just a lot of new things and I do 't have confidence that I really can do it all.
How's your little one doing??

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I could ask, I suppose. Sounds pretty unlikely though
Hi I really recommend you call the shop and say it has not worked out and you need to return it. In the UK reptile and aquarium and pet shops have a duty if care to accept back so the suspect same in USA. Good luck and hope it goes well.

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID

Yes. Thank you. My concern is prioritizing, and not trying to do and buy everything all at once. I don't have the money or the energy to do everything. I need to take one step at a time and don't know what to do first. I think heat and enclosing the area is first --- i put cheap plastic around the cage a few days ago, which has helped with humidity. I think getting consistent temperature is the next thing to do.

But part of my concern is that we are very hot in summer and cold in winter. I'm going to have to change a bunch of stuff in a few months. Or maybe have an outdoor enclosure for the summer?

As I said -- just a lot of new things and I do 't have confidence that I really can do it all

As I said -- just a lot of new things and I do 't have confidence that I really can do it all.
Hello Salt Lake.. I am willing to help you out as I made the same mistake as you did in Not Researching the Tortoises needs beforehand. I chose to do whatever it took to Keep her and Provide her the Best I could. I have Brand New stuff I can send you free of charge so it's not to burdening on you financially if you Decide to keep your Tortoise..

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_143711.jpg
    IMG_20220211_143711.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

SaltLakeSulcata

Salt Lake City
If you can not keep him I'm sure a lot of people on this site are willing to give him a good home... The pet stores are just not really fond of taking care of tortoises. And they are not willing to tell people they don't know how to care for tortoises and most of the time they give you unhealthy tortoises and bad advise!
Thanks. I am hoping I am stressing over nothing. Gonna try a few simple changes and see what happens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello Salt Lake.. I am willing to help you out as I made the same mistake as you did in Not Researching the Tortoises needs beforehand. I chose to do whatever it took to Keep her and Provide her the Best I could. I have Brand New stuff I can send you free of charge so it's not to burdening on you financially if you Decide to keep your Tortoise..
Wow so very kind of you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks. I am hoping I am stressing over nothing. Gonna try a few simple changes and see what happens.
The members here will try their best to walk you thru everything. Always ask if in doubt.
Once you get it down, it's not as hard as the beginning is. Less stressful too once everything is correct and you see him thriving.

SaltLakeSulcata

Salt Lake City
Hi I really recommend you call the shop and say it has not worked out and you need to return it. In the UK reptile and aquarium and pet shops have a duty if care to accept back so the suspect same in USA. Good luck and hope it goes well.
I called the shop and they would take back the tortoise. Also gave me more info about food. Will post here in a few days with update.

SaltLakeSulcata

Salt Lake City
I moved the heating pad to the other side of the enclosure. Under the basking lamp it is around 100 degrees. Outside the hide it is 90 degrees. Next to the heating pad it is 80 degrees. Because the enclosure is quite long, the places in between the heat sources are in the 65-75 degree range.

She did poop once, and has eaten small amounts of food (mustard greens this week -- but last week it was a variety of lettuces from the spring mix (I did not put any spinach in her dish) -- and before that it was romaine lettuce. I offered green bell pepper, mixed a small amount of apple juice into the dry petstore food to encourage her to try eating it.) If anyone has ideas on what is a normal amount of food for a healthy 6 month old sulcata to eat regularly, that would be helpful.

The most I have seen her eat is between 1 -2 tablespoons of lettuce/greens. She eats this amount around once every 7-10 days, and the rest of the time she eats very small amounts - just a few bites of food.

We did give her some grass that we grew indoors from seed. I think she tried it.

We had the food dish in the area near the basking lamp, thinking that if she stayed warmer while she was eating, that she would eat more. It seems that she is unaffected by the temperature of the area where she is eating. If anyone has any specific data on whether sulcatas prefer to be warm vs cool while they are in process of eating, I would appreciate that. Or confirmation that it is not a relevant variable.

Thanks for staying with my kids and me as we figure out this little one!

Attachments

• IMG_4732.jpg
    IMG_4732.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4734.jpg
    IMG_4734.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4735.jpg
    IMG_4735.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
how large is the full enclosure? if you cant get temps around 80 through the whole thing (with a hotter basking area of course) then you can also try to make it smaller if its to big for now. move lights closer together and block off one end of the setup. this is temporary but it could help with getting temps up quickly for the time being. otherwise you may need a second heat light instead of the mat to bring temps up. i dont use mats for young ones. we use basking lights on one side and a ceramic heat bulb on the other on a dimmer switch (from any home store) to maintain consistent temps throughout.

SaltLakeSulcata

Salt Lake City
i really appreciate your offer. Thank you so much

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I am just loving this thread. Acknowledging that you're overwhelmed and asking for help are great signs that you are doing wonderful. If it helps at all, a lot of us stress out our first few weeks with new animals (and then again when they're going through puberty). It's a pretty normal thing to be worried.

(Edit: regarding your question, a lot of torts will eat in both warm and room temp, but the heat does help them digest)

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
i really appreciate your offer. Thank you so much
Your very Welcome. Let me know what you need anytime and I will be more than glad to Help.It was Hard for me as well as I Purchased Nala for my Grandchildren to Enjoy and Raise but I quickly found out IMO it takes an Adult to get them Safely into their Juvinile years.

SaltLakeSulcata

Salt Lake City
how large is the full enclosure? if you cant get temps around 80 through the whole thing (with a hotter basking area of course) then you can also try to make it smaller if its to big for now. move lights closer together and block off one end of the setup. this is temporary but it could help with getting temps up quickly for the time being. otherwise you may need a second heat light instead of the mat to bring temps up. i dont use mats for young ones. we use basking lights on one side and a ceramic heat bulb on the other on a dimmer switch (from any home store) to maintain consistent temps throughout.
such a practical solution. I could easily make the enclosure smaller. But it might be just as easy to add the ceramic heater. Or both. Thanks!

SaltLakeSulcata

Salt Lake City
I am just loving this thread. Acknowledging that you're overwhelmed and asking for help are great signs that you are doing wonderful. If it helps at all, a lot of us stress out our first few weeks with new animals (and then again when they're going through puberty). It's a pretty normal thing to be worried.

(Edit: regarding your question, a lot of torts will eat in both warm and room temp, but the heat does help them digest)
The kid and I have relaxed a bit and I think tortoise is calming down as well. Thanks for the kindness!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
The kid and I have relaxed a bit and I think tortoise is calming down as well. Thanks for the kindness!
Yes, I was going to say, you seem to have calmed down a bit, and I'd bet your stress level has subsided somewhat. I'm so glad for you and your lil tort. Things are getting better and your getting the situ under control. . . Given time and some good advice, I knew you could do it. Good Job. Keep up the good work....?

SaltLakeSulcata

Salt Lake City
such a practical solution. I could easily make the enclosure smaller. But it might be just as easy to add the ceramic heater. Or both. Thanks!
Yesterday the adolescent boy and I made a barrier to make the enclosure smaller. Moved the heating pad onto the outside glass so it's closer to the habitat. Though now it looks like the enclosure is entirely heated by the basking lamp. There are different temperatures, even in this small area, and there's a hide as well for deeper shade if desired. Going to buy a cuttlebone in a few minutes.

We also looked in our house for a rubbermaid tub to use to put outside so the tortoise can get some natural sunlight. Just gonna try a 20-30 minutes in the real sunshine at first, just a couple times a week. We covered the tub as much as possible with an old window screen and an old shower curtain and secured it all down, so there is shade and sun. Put a basking rock in the sun inside the tub.

I think we are going to be fine. I read that the grocery store greens have more density of nutrition than grass. So with that, plus things being on the cool side for the tortoise, I'm thinking the small amount of food is probably understandable. Next feeding, we will give a big handful of grass that we have been growing indoors, and scrape a little calcium powder on it.

I think tortoise instinct is good, and they're resilient so can manage imperfect conditions for awhile without permanent harm. And maybe going slowly is best for everyone anyway. We all adjust to the new conditions and learn about each other and grow at a normal (which means slow, but not too slow) rate.

One other slight concern is that tortoise no longer pulls its head or legs in when I touch them. Especially front legs and head. Back legs still get pulled in more often when I touch them. I pet/ scratch the shell occasionally, and stroke the head and legs -- just occasionally. There are children here who like touching, so I have tried to accustom the tortoise to that touch. I don't know, though, is it a good sign, or a problem, that the head and legs don't retract when I touch them? I tend to think that maybe the tortoise is apathetic / depressed, or that it doesn't have the energy to react to being touched.

But otherwise, tortoise seems able to move around the enclosure fine, tries to escape the bath when we soak her, lifts her carapace very, very high off the ground when trying to access a particularly tricky leaf she's trying to eat. So evidence is that she is not lethargic, and has simply resigned herself to the idea that me touching her is not a threat. Maybe??