Bought some Mazuri

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
So my Skittles is 6 months today......Doing really well. he is 116g today. I just bought some Mazuri...25lb....should be here in a couple of days. Just wondering how much and how you would feed it to my little guy?
Thanks
Jack

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Soak about 3 pellets and see if he eats it. Ad to that until you see what he'll eat in one visit to the plate.
Keep some in an airtight container like TUPPERWARE and the rest in Zip Lock bags in the freezer.
You can also mix mushed up Mazuri with anything else you feed. But if you use it too often, your tortoise may go on a food strike. Demanding more Mazuru!
It's quite common.
He'll get over it.
No healthy tortoise can not eat for very long. He'll start eating again.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Soak the pellets in warm water for about 2 minutes first. Mazuri is great to make a mash out of and mix in chopped foods.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Thanks...He is a good eater but the weeds and flowers and grass are getting harder to find. I have some timothy/grass hay pellets......some lawn clippings i dried.....Hybiscus flowers I dried so just trying to get through winter.....
Jack

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks...He is a good eater but the weeds and flowers and grass are getting harder to find. I have some timothy/grass hay pellets......some lawn clippings i dried.....Hybiscus flowers I dried so just trying to get through winter.....
Jack
That's mainly what I use it for. The dried stuff is great to mix into it.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
tortoises love this stuff. It's like crack to them.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Because I've got small torts (along with one I seldom feed Mazuri to, my Russian), I never stopped soaking the pellets...

When I was getting ready to head out for a week's vacation I put some dry pellets into the enclosures of all four torts, on the assumption that it would not mold (or not mold as fast)... a few minutes later while sitting at my desk (all my torts live in my office) and writing, I heard a chorus of crunching from all around me.

They had all started in on the pellets and were all noisily chomping them down.

Jamie

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
so far mine seems to eat it either way but seems to prefer it dry......Mine is 130g so i cut the hard pellets in 1/2 and he goes to town on them.....