Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
I recently bought Mazuri (see picture)

2ryooiq.jpg

I bought it to include in my yellow foot only 3.5"-4" diet, I figure every 3rd day or so my yellow foot can eat the mazuri and the other days she would eeat her mixed greens,furits, and protein

My first question is every 3rd day fine?

My second question would this type of mazuri be okay for an eastern hermann's tortoise? I will be picking one up for my wife on or around the 5th of feb, it is a female hermanns about 6"-8" should I feed more mazuri?

Aslo I've read for adult tort's to only feed 5 or 6 fays a week is this true or should I be feeding everyday?

Any and all help would be great I've never feed mazuri tomorrow will be my first time for my yellow foot.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Not gonna lie when I first got my tort he was eating Mazuri almost everyday because I was under the assumption it had everything my tort needed in it. Since then I have learned it is still better to feed other foods in addition to Mazuri. My little guy is 3 inches and he can eat 2 pellets soaked. You can feed it to them as much as you want but they may just want to eat that and not their other food if you put them side by side, that's the only problem I have seen. I have also heard it makes torts grown faster than just eating fruits/greens and what not.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Every 3rd day should be fine. I only feed incentive a week but that's just me. Soak the pellets in water so that they can be mashed easy. I mix my calcium supplements in and it gets eaten. I feed as much as will be eaten in one feeding. I started with two pellets then increased as needed. For my 170 gm. baby sulcata, I found 4-5 pellets works then I feed some greens a couple hours later. This is just what I do.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Cowboy_Ken said:
Every 3rd day should be fine. I only feed incentive a week but that's just me. Soak the pellets in water so that they can be mashed easy. I mix my calcium supplements in and it gets eaten. I feed as much as will be eaten in one feeding. I started with two pellets then increased as needed. For my 170 gm. baby sulcata, I found 4-5 pellets works then I feed some greens a couple hours later. This is just what I do.

What do. Mean you feeed incentive a week? And is there any perpose to feeding it greens later on? I normally feed a pile of greens the same size as my yellow foot in the morning (when lights come on) and at lights out(12-14hr later) I clean out the left overs.

And I'm assuming that this type of Mazuri is fine for all types of torts?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Lol! Proofread Cowboy! I think I meant I only feed once a week. But soak it. I just do the greens later for munching on. When I feed greens I feed enough for all day munching. In that they eat the Mazuri all in one sitting, I want them to still eat later if they want.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Cowboy_Ken said:
Lol! Proofread Cowboy! I think I meant I only feed once a week. But soak it. I just do the greens later for munching on. When I feed greens I feed enough for all day munching. In that they eat the Mazuri all in one sitting, I want them to still eat later if they want.

Lol. Sounds good I have only opted to add it to my diet incase I am missing something just for good messaure. But I will try soaking one pellet tomorrow and see how that goes. She eats about ant green I provide but when it comes to feeding protine only seems interested in the snails (witch are already dead) I feed a red wiggler or a butter worm she goes to bite it and stops as soon as it moves in her mouth. So it will be interesting to see how she takes to the pellet

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What you want to do is fine.

And yes you can use it for both torts.

I have recently started supplementing my tort's diet with this a few times a week since it's winter time.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I thought for sure I would have issues. Getting her to eat the mazuri but nope not at all I soaked one pellet. And it was gone with in 5 mins so I gave one more pellet. As you suggested cow boy ken I will add some greens in there for her to "snack" on

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine gets only 2 or 3 moistened pieces per day on top of the greens and chopped hay and cactus. I try to give it a little bit of everything I have available daily.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I don't moisten it. I soak it. Being a dry product, I don't want it to rob any moisture from my tortoises gut track while passing through.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
That is exactly what I did the other day soaked it till it was soft but still held a shape and my yellow foot ate them in like 2 mins each maybe less :p

IMG-20130126-00428.jpg

I'm going to feed two every 3rd day so again tomorrow I'll feed and like cowboy ken said I'll toss some greens in after. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

tink737

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I also soak it and mix in calcium. The red foots love it.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
tink737 said:
I also soak it and mix in calcium. The red foots love it.

Do you nake it mush then? I like mine to hold shape I'd if she would eat it if it was mushed :S I feed off a piece of slate not in a dish

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
At first I didn't mash it. I was concerned with clogged nares. After watching mine eat it, I now mash it and sort of fluff it a little. I, too, feed on a hunk of flagstone.
Your tort won't care that its mashed vs. formed.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Cowboy_Ken said:
At first I didn't mash it. I was concerned with clogged nares. After watching mine eat it, I now mash it and sort of fluff it a little. I, too, feed on a hunk of flagstone.
Your tort won't care that its mashed vs. formed.

Thank you I think I will start mixing calcium powder with it I have straight calcium and I believe I raid you can NOT give a tort to much calcium is this right or wrong?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You can give too much. Depending on the size/weight of your tortoise just a pinch once a week should be fine. Calcification of organs and all that. That's the scary thing about calci-sand. It sounds good, but ultimately is not.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I'm not sure on the weight of my yellow foot I know that she is roughly 4" I'll messure again soon to be sure. I'm working on getting a scale for my own reference. I don't use any said in her enclosure I habe a piece of cuttle bone but I never see any bites or anything out of it almost looks more like a decoration then anything.

But ty for the info I"l prob just mix the calcium powder every other mazuri feeding so every 6 days roughly

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And you have a UVB yes? Remember, a tortoise needs basking heat, and UV to convert calcium into a source mineral they can use. Walmart has those calorie counter type digital scales for cheap.

View attachment 36970

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I'm suppose to get my wifes cusins scale when he gets a new one, I'll check walmart for one anyways. Yes right now I have her set up with a tube light 5.0 uvb light and a basking spot high 80's low 90's I have a solar glow 125 by exo terra but I need either a deep dome or something to put it in

Status
Not open for further replies.