Baby vs Adult coloration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livblue

5 Year Member
redfoot.jpg

I was wondering if babies will have a change in their shell color as they get older? I've been looking at lots of redfoot pictures and it seems like as adults they all have a black shell with light colored marks. The baby I have has much lighter colors which seems normal for baby pics. About what age do their shells get darker?

I think mine is apox 6 month. Its about 2 3/4" and apox 40 grams. Anyone have a better estimate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
I think the bright colors are for camoflage of the young and for the most part (Hybrid excluded) the shell grows black... or at least darker in color... That's one of the reasons I'm REALLY drawn towards the hypos... expencive as they may be.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
You made a good observation. The neonates generally are much lighter in shell color. This begins to change as they grow and when they are around 3 to 4 inches they start to look more like the adults in shell color.
Usually the hatchlings with the lightest shell color tend to have the 'nicest' yellow blotches on their carapace as they mature.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is also a lot of variation in adult shells- it is just that the most common captive Red-footeds are from the regions that feature the 'pale on black' pattern.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Yes it will go darker,
I agree it is probably for hiding in undergrowth whilst they are vulnerable,
Im not sure how much darker...probably black but like Mark said, they vary.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here's Pio at 3 months old
Scan0004-5.jpg

Here she is at almost 5 years old
031-20.jpg

She even had a time when she had some marbling but lost all of it after being outside for the Summer.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
What about the red on the legs and face? Does that get lighter or change as they age?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
wellingtoncdm said:
What about the red on the legs and face? Does that get lighter or change as they age?

It usually gets a little darker or more intense---sometimes, much more intense.

Livblue

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Here's Pio at 3 months old
Scan0004-5.jpg

Here she is at almost 5 years old
031-20.jpg

She even had a time when she had some marbling but lost all of it after being outside for the Summer.

I really like your tort, great colors and such a nice smooth shell. I cant wait for mine to get bigger. Also look forward to summer. Looking for plans so I can make an outdoor enclosure so "Rico" can soak up some sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.