? Regarding Redfoots

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
My pair has produced varying very dark/black since 2007.. out of clutches with "red" colored siblings..

from 2011 -

just a curious question do these go for more then the "standard redfoot" and is this a gene line you like to maintain that coloration is UNREAL

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Keep in mind these are from "Brazilian" parents -

And out of same clutch about 2 weeks later - they don't hatch the same day or so - look at those black legs!

They usually run about 50% more than a "red" cherryhead. There are none available this year.

Last edited:

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Keep in mind these are from "Brazilian" parents -

And out of same clutch about 2 weeks later - they don't hatch the same day or so - look at those black legs!

They usually run about 50% more than a "red" cherryhead. There are none available this year.

aw man now you got my hopes up lol i've been wanting a blackred lol looks like theres even marbling going on there which is awesome how lucky you are!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I have a sulcata but I have been thinking long and hard about getting a redfoot as well. My question is in regards to color. I have been seeing a lot of pics of young redfoots of brighter and different colors but everyplace I go and see their redfoots, they are always almost all black. Are the really cool colored ones just because they are so young and eventually turn black? Or can I find one that has more yellow or orange that last with age without paying thousands for hypos? Probably a silly question but forgive me for I just don't know???

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-keeping-colors-to-adulthood.46088/

Here is a thread I posted a while back in response to your question. The amount of color they are born with is what they will keep for life.

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Agreed - that is an interesting little hatcling, Terry!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Allegra and I are just 2 of the small handful of redfoot keepers that keep them happy enough to make babies - in fact you can count them all with ONE hand and still have a finger or two left over! By that I mean.. considering that their few needs are BALANCED.. that being the given!

The extreme oranges and reds from Allegra.. and /or the dark browns almost black ( void of little or no red ) of mine are strictly "the-luck-of-the-draw" for us both - and has nothing to do with how they are fed, etc. IT IS in the blood.. their genes.. period. Please don't think or believe anyone who claims they can consistently change the colors or patterns of their redfoot hatchlings - as much as someone claims otherwise. How they are fed will influence their productivity.. how often /much they clutch/hatch-rate, etc. NOT their colors! Not ALL of my Brazilian hatchlings are dark/black.. from the same clutch of those above -

In the same incubator.. next to the ones above.. taken same day.

I intend to start an open thread on the different colors within the same clutch of eggs, etc.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Thanks Terry, for your input on this thread! As always, fantastic pictures. Please keep them coming.