Baby Sulcata Only Sleeps And Avoids Food

Taylor Sweet

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, USA
I think he has Metalic Bone Disease because his shell is soft when i touch the sides should i take him to the vet?

Baby tortoises have pliable shells. It takes awhile for their shells to become “as hard as a rock.” If you’ve ever seen videos of tortoises hatching, they are kind of curled up inside their eggs. Their shells start to firm up as they get older. So it depends on how old your tortoise is. It sounds like he’s only a couple of months old. If he is, that’s normal. Shell development is most critical in the first couple of years, so its important to get your tortoise on the right diet and under the right temp.

Baby tortoises often need a higher temperature to feel compelled to eat. What temperature is your baby at? I keep my baby RT at 90, but it depends on the type of tortoise you have.

You need to make sure your tortoise has constant access to water. It’s a common misconception that they can get enough water from their food, but that’s not true. Make sure your tortoise always has a shallow bowl to drink from (water should just barely cover their plastron, under their chin). You should also spray the terrarium down to get it at the proper humidity and soak your baby daily.

Henrym1111

Florida
Quick question. My sully has been sleeping throughout the day. I have to keep petting her until she wakes up. Is this normal. Info: Sulcata Tortoise, Temp around the day is 88 degrees F and at 100 degrees F at night, soak once a week in warm water, always has access to food and water but I never see her in her water dish, a hide, the substrate is 100% cypress mulch, i put her outside everyday for an hour or more (she is asleep most of the time outside) she hates cuttle bone, she is about six months, weighs 58 grams, and is about 3.5 inches long and 2.5 wide. Help please!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Quick question. My sully has been sleeping throughout the day. I have to keep petting her until she wakes up. Is this normal. Info: Sulcata Tortoise, Temp around the day is 88 degrees F and at 100 degrees F at night, soak once a week in warm water, always has access to food and water but I never see her in her water dish, a hide, the substrate is 100% cypress mulch, i put her outside everyday for an hour or more (she is asleep most of the time outside) she hates cuttle bone, she is about six months, weighs 58 grams, and is about 3.5 inches long and 2.5 wide. Help please!

We need more info about the temps. What is the basking spot? Cool side? Warm side? What's the humidity?
I'm not sure what you mean by having to pet her. What happens if you don't? Also, you need to be soaking every day.
Usually, being inactive is due to incorrect temps. What are you feeding?

Henrym1111

Florida
We need more info about the temps. What is the basking spot? Cool side? Warm side? What's the humidity?
I'm not sure what you mean by having to pet her. What happens if you don't? Also, you need to be soaking every day.
Usually, being inactive is due to incorrect temps. What are you feeding?
75 degrees on both cool sides warm side she has a mercury bulb in the morning on about 13 hours a day (which is 88 degrees) at night she has a red bulb on for 11 hours a day (which is 100 degrees F) by pet i mean touch her lightly on the head which annoys her but is the only way she’ll wake up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

100 degrees at night? Once a week soaks?

Henry, we want to help, but it does not seem like you are reading or doing what we are recommending. What is going on? Did you read the care sheet that was linked that explains the correct temperatures, lighting, soaking routine, etc? Here it is again:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Did you make these changes? What bulbs are you using now? Is the top covered? Is the substrate dampened? Did you sink the water bowl into the substrate? Did you get another terra cotta saucer for the food?

We are happy to help, and your questions are welcome, but you have to implement the things we are telling you for your tortoise to survive and get better.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your temps need to be above 80 everywhere, and above 85 if it still has a respiratory infection. And again, red bulbs don't work! They can still see them at night, and tortoises need total darkness to sleep at night. You really need a covered enclosure, to keep both the heat and humidity in. Tortoises also need a basking spot of 95 degrees. You need to go out and buy a ceramic heat emitter or two for the night heat. Your tort won't get better if you don't get the temps up!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
With a shower curtain. You could find a way to make a frame, maybe with pvc pipes, maybe with wire, and cover it. Here's a mini model I made for my dad:IMG_1511453167.314201.jpg you also need a thicker layer of substrate, and more hides. Your tort might be staying in that hide because she feels more secure than out in the open. I would suggest getting a block of eco earth and mixing it in there.

Henrym1111

Florida
Since Black Friday is tommorow im taking everyones advice and buying it i just made a humid hide but its kinda transparent

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do i cover this?

The only way to cover something like that would be to put a portable green house over it. That can work, but it would be much easier to simply buy or build a closed chamber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since Black Friday is tommorow im taking everyones advice and buying it i just made a humid hide but its kinda transparent

You can get a black dishwashing rub at Walmart for $1.82. Flip it over, cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise, and VOILA!!! Instant humid hide.

Henrym1111

Florida
Quick question and i might look stupid, is this hibiscus? If it is, do they like it dry or moist

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Henrym1111

Florida
I bought her eco-earth substrate and i mixed it with the cypress mulch, which I will show you a picture of, a new light which i have a picture of and im working on a top cover or whatever its called lol. Im taking all advice (or atleast trying to)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I bought her eco-earth substrate and i mixed it with the cypress mulch, which I will show you a picture of, a new light which i have a picture of and im working on a top cover or whatever its called lol. Im taking all advice (or atleast trying to)

Lookin good! I don't think that's hibiscus, though