Red foot baby sick and won't eat, always sleeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
Ok so I have had my tortoise for about three months now. He never eats always sleeps and hides. I received my tortoise online and I believe u got him when he was already very sick. I took him to the vet twice. Once he had a respiratory infection and the second time pinworms which is sad because he is only a couple of months old!! I try to feed him everyday and he refuses to eat which results in me force feeding him every couple of days. Can someone give me a suggestion on what I should do?? The vets have no answer and I'm starting to lose hope.

His humidity is normal his temp is 90 on the basking side and about 75 on the cool side. I give him soaks everyday. At night the temps go down to 60 65

theelectraco

5 Year Member
deer_tribe_gold said:
Ok so I have had my tortoise for about three months now. He never eats always sleeps and hides. I received my tortoise online and I believe u got him when he was already very sick. I took him to the vet twice. Once he had a respiratory infection and the second time pinworms which is sad because he is only a couple of months old!! I try to feed him everyday and he refuses to eat which results in me force feeding him every couple of days. Can someone give me a suggestion on what I should do?? The vets have no answer and I'm starting to lose hope.

His humidity is normal his temp is 90 on the basking side and about 75 on the cool side. I give him soaks everyday. At night the temps go down to 60 65

Could he possibly still have worms? I would boost your temps and keep the tank 80 minimum. Where is he spending his time? Warm side or cool side? What have you tried feeding? How many days of not eating went by before you force fed?

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
He spends his time on the warm side but even during the day when it's 95 degrees... He also won't eat for days I only let 3 days maximum go by without force feeding him...

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would start giving it baby food soaks, and stop force feeding. 3 days isn't a long time for it to not eat... At least not long enough to force feed. Boost your temps, offer a variety of different types of food that may appeal to your tort, and soak 2x daily in strained carrot baby food.

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
Thanks but I tried soaking him in baby food and he hates it lol I tried that for a couple of days and he hissed and ran out of his soaking dish

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
This species of tort should never have temps that low (night temps should not be in the 60s...especially coupled with any humidity)..

If your tort is suffering from lingering affects from uri I would not have the humidity up in the entire enclosure, but I would rather offer an area of warm humidity or a warm humid hide....

I would keep special attention to the temps...your tort should have a "hot" spot for heat up that is around 95 degrees and you should maintain temps at no less than 80 but closer to 85 while he is ailing...

As suggested, two soaks each and every day should be done....you can do the baby food and warm water soaks as suggested as well as you can offer warm water soaks ---which ever you decide to go with I would suggest you offer at least 20-30 min soak and be sure to keep the soak warm the entire time.....if you do the baby food soaks, please make sure to also give a warm "rinse" so there is no baby food residue :D

I also would suggest not force feeding. What type of lighting/heating are you using? what type of time does he get for some uv rays?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree with the night time temps being to low, where did you get him from and have you contacted the people you got him from

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
The soaks should be taking place in a separate container, not your regular water dish. The tortoise shouldn't have the option of just walking out of it. As has already been said, your temperatures are way too low at night. It may still be suffering from a respiratory infection. Low temperature + high humidity usually means a sick tortoise.

Edit: Get a CHE and a thermostat to keep the temperature up day and night.

Status
Not open for further replies.