Baby Sulcata Only Sleeps And Avoids Food

Henrym1111

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Well this needs rectifying before anything else. Get online or to a hardware store and buy a temperature gun thermometer now. They cost US$10-15

Your baby will die if you cannot get the temperatures right. :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

Henrym1111

Florida
Well this needs rectifying before anything else. Get online or to a hardware store and buy a temperature gun thermometer now. They cost US$10-15

Your baby will die if you cannot get the temperatures right. :(
The temp is over 100 is this bad?!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes. It can be too hot as well as too cold. You need a range of temperatures between 80F and the 100F basking

However, those analogue thermometers are not very accurate and I don’t trust them.

You need a digital one like I showed you earlier

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Those coil bulbs are no good. Your going to want to switch that out for a reptisun or something similar, but no coil bulbs. They are very ineffective, and can damage the tortoise' eyes.
Right now, if it's not too cold, the best thing you can get him is some natural sunlight.

I know it can be very frustrating buying all of this stuff, but you're doing great. Good luck!

Henrym1111

Florida
Yes. It can be too hot as well as too cold. You need a range of temperatures between 80F and the 100F basking

However, those analogue thermometers are not very accurate and I don’t trust them.

You need a digital one like I showed you earlier
I have noticed bubbles coming out of her nose

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This is probably a respiratory infection. It is caused by humidity being high and temperatures being too low, like less than 80 degrees. You need to see a vet immediately. You're gonna want to bump up the temps, not letting them drop below 85 degrees. You're probably going to have to buy ceramic heat emitters for this.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I just bought a reptisun ubv light

Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't know that the reptisun came in bulbs like that.

What I meant was no compact bulbs, and That is pretty much the same as a coil bulb. This is completely on me.
Something like either of these is what you need.IMG_0855.jpgIMG_0856.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
But the best thing you can do for your tort is to get it some natural sunlight. That will hopefully help immensely.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Try soaking in a mixture of half water and half carrot baby food. It should be warm.
You might also want to look into buying mazuri, a type of pellet food. It really helps put weight on. Just make sure you order the original kind and not the LS, because all torts seem to hate it with a passion.
I think that, as sick as your tort is, getting it to a reptile vet asap is your best bet.

Last edited:

Henrym1111

Florida
I already have Mazuri Chow! Thanks for telling me! So i soak him in warm water with baby carrots and mazuri chow?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

Henrym1111

Florida
Thats a pic of the tort and the enclosure. Btw the tort is a sulcata so i keep it humid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48

Henrym1111

Florida
To keep it humid i spray it with this spray bottle every few hours

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I know I have given you the links earlier. Read and act on them now. What I can see...

1. What is the substrate? It looks dry. It needs to be an earthy type that can be mixed with water to make all of it damp. Spraying only slows the drying and isn’t enough in itself.

2. You have a coloured bulb. This is no good for basking. It only makes things warmer ... and red. Red substrate isn’t good. Torts eat it and get gut blockages. Throw the red bulb away. Your tort needs a proper basking reflector bulb with 95-100F directly underneath.

3. You are using clamp lamp fittings. These are a fire risk. They fail and the lamp falls. The light is always at an angle and it is impossible to get the correct basking temperature underneath. Lamps need to hang vertically from a lamp stand so they are secure and you get optimum temperatures.

4. You have a compact UVB - the type that harms tort eyes. This should be replaced with a tube UVB or replace both it and the red one with a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) that does basking and UVB in one bulb.

5. You have no cover on the enclosure. You cannot maintain the humidity and ambient temperature that your baby needs in an open enclosure.

Your baby isn’t going to recover unless these things are fixed.