Tort sleeps and sleeps

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
My tort sleeps a lot (him being 5 months old), I know it is natuaral for babies, but he only comes out when I soak him and feed him, then he sleeps.
I have heard they can only sleep in total darkness, but mine sleeps in low light, is this normal?
(P.S. Weight is still growing. He eats like there is no tomorrow and likes to drink water)
He also comes to eat when he hears my voice
20211028_172004_024.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like his hide is right by where you feed. Move the food away from the hide, as far as you can and make him walk for it. Even feeding in a few different areas will make him have to roam to find it all. Be sure all temps and humidity are right on too.
They do sleep a lot. Usually in the a.m. they wake, eat, wonder a bit and sleep.
Sometimes it helps to give a soak first, then feed.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It looks like his hide is right by where you feed. Move the food away from the hide, as far as you can and make him walk for it. Even feeding in a few different areas will make him have to roam to find it all. Be sure all temps and humidity are right on too.
They do sleep a lot. Usually in the a.m. they wake, eat, wonder a bit and sleep.
I wonder about my food too...lol

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Some people also suggest placing mushrooms in the enclosure randomly to help them scavenge (like they do in nature), will try that also

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I let my Eastern Box Turtle relax/sleep most of the time but two or three times a day I make her get active.

I place her in her pond and she loves it. She cleans her face and splashes around and blows bubbles (out of both ends!)

She has been sunbathing all day today under her halogen and UV lights.

She rests on her plastron and gets stretchy legs under her lamps!

A Tortoise/Turtle is not going to be an active, super affectionate pet. They do what they do.

My analogy is BB King's song "The thrill has gone away". With Tortoises and Turtles there has never been a thrill!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
My tort sleeps a lot (him being 5 months old), I know it is natuaral for babies, but he only comes out when I soak him and feed him, then he sleeps.
I have heard they can only sleep in total darkness, but mine sleeps in low light, is this normal?
(P.S. Weight is still growing. He eats like there is no tomorrow and likes to drink water)
He also comes to eat when he hears my voice
View attachment 335447
Have you added more shade plants and hide boxes? The instinct to stay hidden will inhibit exercise.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
No not yet, I am looking for fake plants, I remember you said taking an old stump and pouring boiling water over it would do. Is there any other quick thing I could use?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
No not yet, I am looking for fake plants, I remember you said taking an old stump and pouring boiling water over it would do. Is there any other quick thing I could use?
Strips of bark (not a whole stump lol) are quick to get from dropped trees or branches and easy to sterilize. Use hardwood that does not have a lot of odor or resin. In the U.S., varieties of oak and maple are plentiful.

Add more hide boxes - plastic containers with doors cut into them.

Watch with plastic plants - if a tort has an inquisitive appetite, they might bite and swallow pieces. Live, edible plants in pots work best (and help to hold humidity naturally).

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@ZenHerper @wellington I just check, no old logs by me. I do have living red oak trees, but I think what would be more useful is stinkhout (Celtis africanus) would you perhaps know by name if it is safe? (Even though the name has stink in it, it is odourless)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I let my Eastern Box Turtle relax/sleep most of the time but two or three times a day I make her get active.

I place her in her pond and she loves it. She cleans her face and splashes around and blows bubbles (out of both ends!)

She has been sunbathing all day today under her halogen and UV lights.

She rests on her plastron and gets stretchy legs under her lamps!

A Tortoise/Turtle is not going to be an active, super affectionate pet. They do what they do.

My analogy is BB King's song "The thrill has gone away". With Tortoises and Turtles there has never been a thrill!
You are so wrong! I have now and have had in the past, turtles and tortoises both who are inter active, very personable and fun. You have a box turtle very smart and love to mess with people. I hold mine and sit in the pond with them...I kinda play with them...get a Sulcata if you want a thrill...lol...they are not going to react with you, unless you start something and make it interesting for them...
100_0684.JPG

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Do not get me wrong I love my little turtle. But they are not dogs or cats.

She is still a baby and learning to do things on her own.

My little rascal will not eat greens unless I blend them with eggs and fruit.

She will eat spiders though! I've seen it!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
@ZenHerper @wellington I just check, no old logs by me. I do have living red oak trees, but I think what would be more useful is stinkhout (Celtis africanus) would you perhaps know by name if it is safe? (Even though the name has stink in it, it is odourless)
I don't find any references to toxicity for any parts of that species...but that does not mean that a plant is non-toxic. lol

The wood is apparently "medium" hard, so no commercial uses.

I wonder if a local plant nursery/landscaping company would have better info on this tree or other options.

eta: Local professionals may also be able to provide safe plants...just be sure there are no pesticide treatments (fertilizers are fine - insecticides or weed killers are not).

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I also looked at @Jacqui enclosures. She used spiderplants (native here), fern (I see black rabbits foot fern), pothos and pansies. I wonder if they would survive, in my enclosure? I don't use UVB lights, because I take my tort outside. Perhaps I should plant those there?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hey! I forgot I have 3 ponytail palm plants? Perhaps I can plant them! I know they are safe, I would just have to figure out how to plant them in the bark

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey! I forgot I have 3 ponytail palm plants? Perhaps I can plant them! I know they are safe, I would just have to figure out how to plant them in the bark
Yoi don't have to actually plant them in the substrate. Toi can leave them in the flower pot and just set it in the enclosure. Just be sure to make it secure so it doesn't fall over or get pushed over.