Baby Sulcata Only Sleeps And Avoids Food

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
What should i tell the vet?

Take her to the vet, and as long as it's a good vet, they will ask the questions. But be prepared to know the temps, what uvb light you use, where you got the tort. Also have pictures of the set up just in case, and know what substrate you use. There is a long list of tortoise vets under the "tortoise topics" section, and from there click "tortoise vet list". Take her to the one nearest you.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hey guys i can feel my sulcata’s shell is getting softer. Good or bad. Is it metabolic bone disease.
Now that you have corrected everything in her enclosure, it will take some time for her to get better. Be very careful if you go to a vet. They often make things worse if they aren't experts in tortoise care. Don't let the vet give your tortoise any vitamin shots.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Were at the vet so no vitamin shots?

No vitamin shots!!! If the veterinarian recommends it ask where they learned their tortoise husbandry, and then leave. Often veterinarians think they are exotic vets because they have treated birds. Few veterinarians have any practical experience with reptiles let alone tortoises.

Henrym1111

Florida
No vitamin shots!!! If the veterinarian recommends it ask where they learned their tortoise husbandry, and then leave. Often veterinarians think they are exotic vets because they have treated birds. Few veterinarians have any practical experience with reptiles let alone tortoises.
I dont wanna be rude

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I hope your tort makes it out okay. I have read so many threads about torts dying because of vitamin shots, not just vitamin A, so I think all we can do now is keep optimal care and hope she survives. I'm no expert though, so maybe vitamin B is okay.

Henrym1111

Florida
The veterinarian noticed her nose was closed and i also notice it. He told me to put hydrogen peroxide mixed with water on her nostrils. He also noticed that her mouth was black but she eats her poo so, that’s probably what it is. So do you guys think its a respritory infection?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoise nose and mouth are connected directly together unlike yours so the nose being blocked isn’t necessarily a problem. If breathing is easy and there’s no discharge then it’s less likely to be a respiratory infection (URI)

Everything you have said so far has suggested Metabolic Bone Disease. Correcting diet, UVB and temperatures is the way to sort this out.

If temperatures are wrong and/or the tortoise is already sick with MBD a URI may set in too.

Henrym1111

Florida
Hey guys i was wondering if my sully is too small she/he weighs about 56 grams is about 3 inches and is four months old

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hey guys i was wondering if my sully is too small she/he weighs about 56 grams is about 3 inches and is four months old

They all grow at different rates so there is no real guideline.

Yours is still very much a baby. With correct environment and diet there is no cause for concern as long as eyes are bright, your tort is eating and active and your tort isn’t losing weight.