Baby Leopard Tortoise Wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathannienhuis

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and I hope I am doing this right. Less then a year ago I bought a baby leopard that recently pasted away because of Hatchling Failure Syndrome, we where so sad. Anyways, we want to get another baby leopard from an experienced breeder. Does anyone know an experienced breeder that does everything properly? Does anyone know of anyone that has baby leopard right now?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Tom might, i know he said recently he had some hatchlings, but i dont recall if he had sullies or leos. If he doesnt im sure he knows someone who does.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Are you looking for P. Pardalis or babcocki?

Andrew from Arizona tortoise compound I think has both.
I got mine from Andrew at ATC and Ben from Chubs Leopards

Check the for sale section there are quite a few postings of healthy smooth leopards for sale by forum members. While your at it check out Toms threads on raising a healthy smooth sulcata (applies to leopards as well).

TommyZ said:
Tom might, i know he said recently he had some hatchlings, but i dont recall if he had sullies or leos. If he doesnt im sure he knows someone who does.

Pretty sure Tom isn't expecting anymore leopards till next year, I could be wrong

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Baby Leopard Tortoise Wanted!

DevilsLettuce said:
Are you looking for P. Pardalis or babcocki?

Andrew from Arizona tortoise compound I think has both.
I got mine from Andrew at ATC and Ben from Chubs Leopards

Check the for sale section there are quite a few postings of healthy smooth leopards for sale by forum members. While your at it check out Toms threads on raising a healthy smooth sulcata (applies to leopards as well).

TommyZ said:

Pretty sure Tom isn't expecting anymore leopards till next year, I could be wrong

Yep i may be wrong, i know he had hatchlings, but probably was sullies. Not sure though.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Ya pretty sure it was sullies, was thinking about getting one from Tom but I decided to wait for an Ivory hatchling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Will has some for sale on our 'for sale' section right now. Well started and about maybe 6 months old (???)

nathannienhuis

5 Year Member
Devils lettuce,

I not know the difference between the two types... Could you give me a brief summary of each?

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
nathannienhuis said:
Devils lettuce,

I not know the difference between the two types... Could you give me a brief summary of each?

I'm probably not the best person to give a summary on both as I'm not the most knowledgable about tortoises. But from my experience the P. Pardalis are more rare and a little more pricey. To me they seem to be a little more active and also burrow more. They also tend to get bigger than the babcocki. Here is a pic of one of my P. P hatchlings:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378590515.207097.jpg

I donno if its the same for others but my babcocki hatchling tends to like higher humidity and a little lower temps and my P. Ps likes it a little less humid and quite a bit hotter. Here's a pic of my babcocki hatchling:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378590760.253582.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Below is one of several threads/conversations about GPB and GPP. Do a GPB and GPP search and there is more to read for your research. All leopards are awesome, in my opinion. And their shells are all surprise works of art regardless of which kind you get. Best wishes on your decision and your new baby. Just remember, hot + humid = healthy + happy. Yay!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-23534.html

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-78788.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-78789.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-78791.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-78792.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-78796.html

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Call, e-mail, or PM here on TFO.

No matter whose animals you may purchase, or end up with via a 'rescue' it is well advised to look at one of the few threads Tom has about why they are not best kept in a dry tank on rabbit pellets.

I'm pretty sure one of the Fife brothers sorted this out long ago, but Tom has made it his passion that people know the knowing on the raising of neonate tortoises. His voice is not alone on the matter.

Will

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
There are many good choices.

The animals Will has raised and posted for sale look very robust. If I was asked by a person seeking a young, healthy and well kept Gpb where to get one right now, the animals Will has posted would be among my top recommendations. Will's understanding of dietary contributions to superior growth rate and tissue quality is also exceptional among many/most tortoise keepers in my opinion, and I value that understanding in a sea of traditions.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

You can check out the breeder list in the breeding section.

The new TFO member "TortsRus" is who I got a Leopard hatchling from. They now start their babies humid and will ship if you aren't local.

Good luck in your search. :)

Baoh said:
Will's understanding of dietary contributions to superior growth rate and tissue quality is also exceptional

I'd like to know more about this. ?

Sent from my TFOapp

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
Will's understanding of dietary contributions to superior growth rate and tissue quality is also exceptional

I'd like to know more about this. ?

Sent from my TFOapp
[/quote]

Me too

dds7155

5 Year Member
Vicki Hale ,,youtube the tortoiseyard , healthy babies you will not go wrong , if you want a solid healthy well started baby ,just go the the website and you can see her babies for sale ,i have one of hers , her films on you tube are great ,,

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Will said:
Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Call, e-mail, or PM here on TFO.

Will

I sent you a PM about your Leopards diet. :)
I'm excited to learn more!

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.