I think my Leopard Tortoise has swollen eyes...

Devon Beaupre

Hello,

I just adopted a baby Leopard Tortoise. The family that I adopted from did not know where he came from.....
He is about 2-3 months old. To me he looks like he could possibly have swollen eyes....Can someone who is experienced with Leopard Tortoises please let me know what you think?

Greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Topher.pdf
    111.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Topher2.pdf
    110 KB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, they don't look swollen to me. But they do look like he's a little dehydrated. Start soaking him daily for about 15 or 20 minutes in warm water. Also, spritz water over his food when you feed him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Please post a pic on this same thread. Just start a new post on this thread and insert the pic.
Also if you are using a coil type bulb I would turn it off and replace it. They hurt some reptiles eyes. Also be sure to follow the caresheet. They need hot and humid environment. 80 temps, 80% humidity and 95-100 basking spot. Also soak 1-2 times a day in warm water for 20-30 minutes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, the links to your pic didn't show at all for my first post and now I still can't see them. Yvonnes got ya though.

Devon Beaupre

Thank you for your feedback!
I am a first time Leopard Tortoise Mom. I live in WPB FL and am trying to find a vet that has experience with Leopard Tortoises...it has proven difficult. Has everyone taken their tortoise to the vet upon bringing him home? Or do you wait until a certain age? What should I be having the vet do?
Any preventative treatment such as vaccines? I am very worried he will end up with swollen eyes, I have been researching it online. Very scary..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt your tortoise needs to see a vet at this stage. Just soak it daily in warm water, feed a good, varied diet as shown in our leopard tortoise care sheet and keep it warm.

Devon Beaupre

Should the lights be on at all times? I have basking & UVB during the day, then at night I leave the basking light on, turn off the UVB and put on the night red bulb...
I live in South Florida but it is now fall/winter time. I will be keeping my little one inside for the next 6 months. Then will be moving him to an outdoor enclosure. Once he is in his outdoor enclosure for summer, will he need lights on? It is very hot and humid in the summer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your lights need to mimic a summer day - that is, come on about 7a and go off about 7p. If you need heat at night you can use a CHE:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg