QUESTION FOR LEOPARD TORTOISE OWNERS -marks on head

Mikayla777

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a baby Leopard tortoise. He is a hatchling. He has those typical brown markings on his head- they look like cracks. Just google leopard baby tortoises to see pictures of them. I'm wondering if anyone here knows if those markings will ever go away when he/she gets older. Or do they stay for good? Anyone here have experience with that? Thanks.

Attachments

• leopardtortoisebaby.jpg
    leopardtortoisebaby.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 9

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure if I understand what you are asking. Do you mean the scales on baby's head? The scales will roughly stay the same shape, but grow bigger as your tortoise grows bigger. The coloring may darken or lighten, depending on many factors (genetics, sun exposure etc.) - the cracks between the scales also may be more shallow or deeper depending on hydration and age of the tortoise.

Mikayla777

Texas
Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure if I understand what you are asking. Do you mean the scales on baby's head? The scales will roughly stay the same shape, but grow bigger as your tortoise grows bigger. The coloring may darken or lighten, depending on many factors (genetics, sun exposure etc.) - the cracks between the scales also may be more shallow or deeper depending on hydration and age of the tortoise.
I don't mean the scales. I mean the dark brown lines.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard was about 3 or 4 when he adopted me but the colouring on his scales and shell has changed in the 8 years I've had him. I think that's pretty normal and they all have different markings.

This is the caresheet that will help him grow as healthily as possible -

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a baby Leopard tortoise. He is a hatchling. He has those typical brown markings on his head- they look like cracks. Just google leopard baby tortoises to see pictures of them. I'm wondering if anyone here knows if those markings will ever go away when he/she gets older. Or do they stay for good? Anyone here have experience with that? Thanks.
The basic pattern will change and evolve, but it fades and gets harder to see when they are living outside and the dirt accumulates. You just can't really see it when they get older. If I spent some time with a tooth brush and some warm water, I might find some patterning under there:5_2017.JPG

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Scrubbed with a toothbrush an hour post soak recently-Mr. Snarky is 3 years old. Pic next to it is Snarky as a 1 year old. Basic scale pattern I think is about the same.

Attachments

• D0972769-3606-4620-90E0-48A317FE0058.jpeg
    D0972769-3606-4620-90E0-48A317FE0058.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • F9E5A589-56B1-417E-8DAD-6AAEB63CC7C9.jpeg
    F9E5A589-56B1-417E-8DAD-6AAEB63CC7C9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Sounds like nothing to worry about to me. I wish Levi was sparkling clean all the time. He's so pretty when he is...but alas, he's most often dirty because that's what happen when grown up tortoises live outside.