AZ weather tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Looks like tomorrow Buddy and I will be having a water/mud day :) Temp in AZ expected to reach 117 degrees.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck keeping cool. I'm dying with the temps were having now in Chicago. Upper 80's and 70 + humidity. My air has been on almost two weeks. I hate having my air on:(

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Ya, born and raised but you never get used to those temps haha. The pool will get good use this weekend. I can't tell you when my air went on, it's been awhile though.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
San Francisco, low 70s... We are lucky if we even get low 80s. I love it but not good for the torts. And 50/50 chance of being gloomy.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
According to the news our low will be in the 90's this weekend. Your weather sounds nice right now....guess we always want what we can't have haha.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tiffany:

Yeah...I think we're on the same low pressure weather condition that you are. On Monday our weather guy expects it's going to be 114F degrees. That's unheard of for our area. We usually get up to about 105F with the occasional foray up to 110F, but that's very rare.

Later today I'm going to the hardware store to see if I can buy an individual mister system to hang above my poor horse.

All the outside tortoise pens have overhead drip with sprinkler-type drip emitters, and that brings the temp down pretty good for them.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Ya, if it was just me to worry about it wouldn't be so bad. I worry about my animals way more than myself haha. According to the news it is going to hit 120 degrees today. I go out every so often and spray Buddy down. He seems to be hanging in there and has already chose his spot to bunker down through the hot weekend.

This heat came a little too soon.....I have plans to lay concrete to make a man made shallow pond for him. I should look in to a mister system as well. I'm also trying to work on a separate outdoor enclosure for another tortoise down the road but that has been put on hold for now until it cools off a bit.

Hope you, the tortoises and horse can stay cool over there Yvonne.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Our air conditioner just broke. Right now it is 80 in the tortoise burrow and 88 in the house. Think the torts will let us move in?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Even around here it's warm I mean not as hot as az or others parts of ca cuz w have the ocean but still hitting 90s which is warm for us

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have never kept a tort at 118F... and only experienced that heat when travelling in Egypt.

Common sense says it is dangerous if your tort cannot get out of the direct sun.

Even if it can, it will probably estivate at those temperatures. It will find the coolest place it can, dig in and become inactive. Hydration is the biggest problem. You will need to provide plenty of shady soaking opportunities, but don't expect much, if any, activity apart from around dawn when it is coolest. Be sure to leave food out overnight so your tort can help himself without you having to get up.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have a sulcata, so hopefully someone familiar with your breed will weigh in. But for my DTs in 101-degree Cali today I'm providing deep shade, an 80-degree burrow and hydration. They woke up more than a hour earlier than usual this morning, had a lukewarm soak and water rich greens and veggies for breakfast and were back in their burrow by 10am. They've stayed in all day except when I pulled them out at 5 so they could sit in the mud while I watered the flowers.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
My rule of green thumb, adopted from my grandfather's thinking, from whom our family inherited his 4 beloved/spoiled CDTs, born in 1952, is that tortoises are shade animals. Sun is only in little bits for what they need, and they know best on that one, but otherwise shade-shade-shade from trees, shrubs or burrow. Lotsa shade and little areas of sun to run into and run right out of as they see fit. We tend to think they are sun worshippers but they are not. They want their lives made in the shade, thank you very much not crazy from the heat! : )

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I was thinking it felt really hot here in Phoenix. I looked down at the thermometer on my dash and realized why.

image-27.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

EKLC

5 Year Member
erica anne said:
I live in AZ and it is 118 today. Is that dangerous for my sulcata??

That should be dangerous even in the shade. If your tortoise is in that temperature for too long, their body temperature will rise to dangerous levels. That's beyond simply keeping them hydrated.

erica anne

5 Year Member
EKLC said:
erica anne said:

That should be dangerous even in the shade. If your tortoise is in that temperature for too long, their body temperature will rise to dangerous levels. That's beyond simply keeping them hydrated.

Thanks for the response! That is kind of what I thought. I brought my tort in after an hour or so and he inhaled his water. I decided to keep him inside until temps return to normal. This is usually hot for us but what does one do with a 100 pound tort? Is a misting system helpful? My Sulcata is only 7 inches right now but I am wondering what people do when their torts reach much larger sizes.

erica anne said:
EKLC said:
erica anne said:

Thanks for the response! That is kind of what I thought. I brought my tort in after an hour or so and he inhaled his water. I decided to keep him inside until temps return to normal. This is usually hot for us but what does one do with a 100 pound tort? Is a misting system helpful? My Sulcata is only 7 inches right now but I am wondering what people do when their torts reach much larger sizes.

*unusually hot

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Misting systems are very helpful and also mud pools and big water dishes out if the sun. Burrows also help cuz underground the temp stay much color sometimes 30 degrees cooler. Keep is to be prepared for the heat. I live in so. Cali and it rarely gets "hot" around here, I still have sprinklers and water dishes tho they just love it

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
Its nice here in North Dakota was 77 outside so had my tortoise outside in a little enclosure i built for him just today in about 10-15 minutes suppose to be 80s tomorrow so i will have him out again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
weldorNate said:
Its nice here in North Dakota was 77 outside so had my tortoise outside in a little enclosure i built for him just today in about 10-15 minutes suppose to be 80s tomorrow so i will have him out again.

Show-off! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.