How Many Soaks?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I'll try it with a large container next time (I don't soak, but wash them every few weeks when I have to take pictures or to check the shell under the layer of loamy soil :rolleyes: ). But I doubt it will help much, they're always scared when I pick them up and remove them from their familiar enclosure, no matter if I put them in the bath, on the lawn or wherever.
I guess over time they could get used to being handled, but I don't see any reason to force them since they look very healthy and smooth enough without any soaks. They'll slowly become more relaxed as they grow older anyway.
Lisa I don't know how old your torts are but it sounds like old enought to be set in their ways. Mine are very young and we've had them since very soon after they hatched out so we've been learning our ways and figuring things out together. They are very comfortable with human touch and being handled, but that has been one of my goals, you see. I have made it a point of them being handled daily by me and/or the kids. It's just something that we do in my home and it works for us and our animals. I think whatever you do, it has to work for you and your pets, otherwise it's just not going to work in ling term. If your animals are healthy and active and you enjoy all the work you put into keeping them, then I'd say: you've got it right. If your animals look and act great but you are stressed out time wise or financially... then I think: it's not gonna last, somethings will start changing soon. Same goes for reversed scenario where little work/time is put into husbandry and the animals are showing signs of stress... I think you see where I'm going with this. Basically to me keeping a pet is supposed to benefit both sides (human and animal), there needs to be balance and harmony. But again! This is just HOW I SEE IT. And this way definitely works for me

Pearly

5 Year Member
Pearly, can i ask you a favor? I like to see the pee. Can you post it? I want to know how it looks like. Words sometimes hard to imagine. Mine peeing urates and highly consider as healthy from other members here. I just researching this pee thing recently. Lol.. *weirdo . And i think we can know better what is the hydration level of our tort by looking at the pee.
Btw this is the link of Toro pee i asked for advice.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...-old-sulcata-through-pee.142238/#post-1331051
"Bath freaking" actually make sense after read your story.
You're too funny! catching that pee in water will be tricky bcs you can see that "cloud in water" for just few seconds before it dissipates. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465154225.078069.jpg but here you can see the size of the puddle when they go on the sidewalk. Their urine must be pretty light yellowish with just tiny bit of particular matter (cells) that makes it momentarily visible in white bath tub. I'll try to have my camera ready with next few baths, but not sure if my phone camera is quick enough to catch them in the act. My babies species (RF) don't make urates. I think with urates you want to see liquid urine and creamy (tooth paste like) consistency urates in one void. If urate has gritty (sand like) consistency, the tort is too dry

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Ahhhh... . Thank you for enlighten me. Poor me, i thought all tortoise make urates lol.
Haha! You and me both! There is my old post here somewhere asking if I should be concerned about not ever seeing urates in my babies' urine I didn't know that either! Live and learn

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Lisa I don't know how old your torts are but it sounds like old enought to be set in their ways. Mine are very young and we've had them since very soon after they hatched out so we've been learning our ways and figuring things out together. They are very comfortable with human touch and being handled, but that has been one of my goals, you see. I have made it a point of them being handled daily by me and/or the kids. It's just something that we do in my home and it works for us and our animals. I think whatever you do, it has to work for you and your pets, otherwise it's just not going to work in ling term. If your animals are healthy and active and you enjoy all the work you put into keeping them, then I'd say: you've got it right. If your animals look and act great but you are stressed out time wise or financially... then I think: it's not gonna last, somethings will start changing soon. Same goes for reversed scenario where little work/time is put into husbandry and the animals are showing signs of stress... I think you see where I'm going with this. Basically to me keeping a pet is supposed to benefit both sides (human and animal), there needs to be balance and harmony. But again! This is just HOW I SEE IT. And this way definitely works for me
They are almost two years old, but much smaller than yours, I'm always impressed how fast some species are growing. :D
I still believe my Hermanns are perfect pets for me, they seem very content to take care of themselves and I'm happy to just watch them - and enlarge the enclosure every few years. :p

Pearly

5 Year Member
They are almost two years old, but much smaller than yours, I'm always impressed how fast some species are growing. :D
I still believe my Hermanns are perfect pets for me, they seem very content to take care of themselves and I'm happy to just watch them - and enlarge the enclosure every few years. :p
Great! I'll have to check out your threads and pictures sometime soon:)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
If you are willing to wait til Tuesday, i can take pictures of my russian tortoise's urates for you to see. Ill be soaking them tuesday afternoon

AndreaH1969

Hello everyone. I live in Jordan, where Summer is extremely hot and dry. For example today, temperature reached 35 degrees C. And yet another rise in temperature is expected tomorrow. :<3:

In these cases how many times a day should I soak Oli? Would two soaks be enough? We all know that torts have to be soaked daily, and that they need humidity, however, my question is: would three soaks during 24 hours be too many?

Answers/advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.:)
Good question!!!.......I'm in NM the summers are HOT and Dry here.....I soak Bradley 20mins/day but might have to increase it also when the temps go up.....I've had him for 4 months so it's his first summer here...he does have a "mutthut" in his enclosure ....he loves going in there to dig

Fredkas

5 Year Member
If you are willing to wait til Tuesday, i can take pictures of my russian tortoise's urates for you to see. Ill be soaking them tuesday afternoon
Better than having nothing. Look forward!! Thank you;)
You're too funny! catching that pee in water will be tricky bcs you can see that "cloud in water" for just few seconds before it dissipates. View attachment 176419 but here you can see the size of the puddle when they go on the sidewalk. Their urine must be pretty light yellowish with just tiny bit of particular matter (cells) that makes it momentarily visible in white bath tub. I'll try to have my camera ready with next few baths, but not sure if my phone camera is quick enough to catch them in the act. My babies species (RF) don't make urates. I think with urates you want to see liquid urine and creamy (tooth paste like) consistency urates in one void. If urate has gritty (sand like) consistency, the tort is too dry
Yes, i think i know how is the liquid now lol. The urates makes me curious.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I can see the point of view of not interfering with animals much so they can live as natural a life as possible, but handling them on a daily basis seems like a good idea to me. They are always going to have be handled some so it is better to get them used to it so they don't stress out. At some point, you might have to handle them to give them medicine or trim their nails. If they get sick and you have to take them to the vet, if they are used to being handled, at least you aren't adding more stress on top of their sickness.

Right now I have a sick cat that has to be taken to the vet several times over the next few weeks. He stresses out every time he is put into his carrier. He always hated it so I only used it when it was absolutely necessary. Now I'm wondering if it would have been better to get him used to it when he was healthy so I'm not adding more stress when he is ill.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I can see the point of view of not interfering with animals much so they can live as natural a life as possible, but handling them on a daily basis seems like a good idea to me. They are always going to have be handled some so it is better to get them used to it so they don't stress out. At some point, you might have to handle them to give them medicine or trim their nails. If they get sick and you have to take them to the vet, if they are used to being handled, at least you aren't adding more stress on top of their sickness.

Right now I have a sick cat that has to be taken to the vet several times over the next few weeks. He stresses out every time he is put into his carrier. He always hated it so I only used it when it was absolutely necessary. Now I'm wondering if it would have been better to get him used to it when he was healthy so I'm not adding more stress when he is ill.
I'm treating all my pets in the same way - no force if not necessary. The torts get treats every now and then if they come to me on their own free will, so they are not afraid of my hands anymore and the cat gets treats if he climbs into his carrier, opens his mouth and things like that, it's part of our daily playtime. :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm treating all my pets in the same way - no force if not necessary. The torts get treats every now and then if they come to me on their own free will, so they are not afraid of my hands anymore and the cat gets treats if he climbs into his carrier, opens his mouth and things like that, it's part of our daily playtime. :)
And the whole point I was trying to make was that our human/pet interactions/arrangements maybe little different for everybody. No one way is the only right way. Whatever ways work for us and our animal with some mutual benefit, I'd say: is good. So Gillian back to your question, if it's hot and dry, I'd bathe Oli daily. If his baths seem enjoyable, then do it as much as you want. Our bath time here is also our playtime, physical examination time, weighing in time (when it's time for it)... And most of all, enjoy your pet

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good question!!!.......I'm in NM the summers are HOT and Dry here.....I soak Bradley 20mins/day but might have to increase it also when the temps go up.....I've had him for 4 months so it's his first summer here...he does have a "mutthut" in his enclosure ....he loves going in there to dig
I would suggest more than just one soak if it is that hot and dry, back there.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
@Fredkas heres one of my tortoises urates from todays soak. Her urates actually usually look much creamier than this, but this isnt bad either. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465336678.593993.jpg