Laws - Desert Tortoise

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I had someone reach out to me asking for help. They have approximately 15 Desert Tortoises that need to be rehomed. The exact number is unknown at this time. I know there are laws and that they can only be "gifted" and cannot cross state lines (we are in AZ). I'm just wondering if there are any other important details so I go about this the right way. I appreciate any info. Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope. You've pretty much got it. You can adopt them to others, but you can't sell or take money for them. Not even under the iffy guise of 're-homing' fee. I'm not sure about Arizona's laws, but some states will only allow you to have one or two, so you may need to find separate homes for each of them.

http://www.deserttortoise.org/answeringquestions/chapter2-1.html

747117wei24kafiu.gif

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Order 43, "Possession limit is one desert tortoise per person per household."

So in my case we have 5 children plus my wife and I, we can keep 7 Desert tortoises.

Grady27

I would love to have a female and adopt it do u have any females

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What part of Arizona? I've got a friend (not a member of this board) that has like 5 torts and she may be able to take one.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Order 43, "Possession limit is one desert tortoise per person per household."

So in my case we have 5 children plus my wife and I, we can keep 7 Desert tortoises.
I don't think that is correct, sorry :( A household is a house and is occupants regarded as a unit. So your home and its occupants can house one desert tortoise.
Edit: I just reread that, guess I was so busy everything got muddled up in that head of mine. Sorry :) have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I too wish I had a female . But I'm sher they are to young to sex . But good luck with your problem of too many torts .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Grady27

I had someone reach out to me asking for help. They have approximately 15 Desert Tortoises that need to be rehomed. The exact number is unknown at this time. I know there are laws and that they can only be "gifted" and cannot cross state lines (we are in AZ). I'm just wondering if there are any other important details so I go about this the right way. I appreciate any info. Thanks in advance!

Hello I was maybe wanting to adopt one r there any left and how big r they and it needs to be a female