Another New Sulcata Momma - 2 BIG questions . . .

TortoiseMomma

Location (City and/or State)
San Mateo, CA
Hi Tortoise lovers, another convert to your ranks!

Two days ago we adopted a gorgeous BIG boy (85 lbs), about 15 years old we were told. He has a large outdoor grassy sunny/shady yard with a shed with a large temperature controlled ZooTherm heating mat to keep him warm in our chilly NorCal nights. Hope he'll be happy there!

Two BIG questions if anyone has any advice:

1) he is VERY nervous, hissing and pulling into his shell when approached or touched. I've checked out threads saying he just has to get used to us, but will he really warm up to us if he has not been very social in his life before? And if so, how long will that process take? Right now I'm just giving him his distance . . .any advice on socialization would be greatly appreciated.

2) he has been fed a grocery store diet in the past, and I'd like to help him back to more natural eating (our own grass, plus various forms of hay and occasional other "salad" ingredients.) With a large one like this already used to the grocery store diet, is such a transition even possible? I'd appreciate any advice on helping him get there.

Thank you!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It will be easier to convert him to grazing once all the winter time grasses and weeds come up. I've been taking in rescues for quite a few years and some of them take to grazing right away, some never do. I have a female desert tortoise that I took in 6 years ago and decided to keep because she's so big and beautiful. Like yours, she was only fed produce. I put her out into the desert tortoise yard, after quarantine, and then just more or less forgot about her. When it came time to gather them up to hibernate, she was just skin and bones. So I had to keep her up over the winter. The next summer, because of her thinness prior to winter, I checked on her throughout the summer, and far as I could tell, she never grazed, meaning, she never ate. So I had to feed her. I've had her 6 years now, and I have to feed her every day. She never even goes out on the grass and sniffs it.

Let a portion of Big Boy's yard grow a bit lusher and fuller, and see if that doesn't tempt him to graze.

he's going to be afraid for a while. Just be quiet around him, moving slowly and not surprising him. Once he realizes you are the food goddess, he'll come around quicker.